Which specialization is most employable?

In summary, the person is considering getting a MS in physics or applied physics from a few different CSUs and has a knowledge background in physical chemistry and mathematics. They are worried about weak programming skills and employment prospects in different specialty areas within condensed matter physics.
chill_factor
I'm looking at some of the CSUs in california for a MS in physics or applied physics, with a few questions.

I am getting a BS in Chemistry this year from a decently ranked University of California campus, and look to get a MS in physics to help my career prospects. I chose physics because it is closest to my existing interests and research in materials science, and would be more flexible compared to a straight materials science degree, which I've found to be actually less employable.

my knowledge background includes significant physical chemistry and mathematics. I've taken 4 quarters of calculus, 1 quarter of linear algebra, 1 quarter of differential equations, and am about to start 2 quarters of upper division mathematical physics. my physical chemistry background includes 3 quarters of physical chemistry (quantum chemistry, statistical thermodynamics, chemical kinetics), 1 quarter of biophysical chemistry (mostly on physical analytical techniques in biology including x-ray diffraction, spectroscopy and NMR) and 1 quarter of reactor design.

my major problem is that i have very weak programming skills, so would prefer experimental work to computational.

My question is: which specialty within condensed matter physics would be closer to chemistry, and which would be more employable:

optics and photonics, hard materials science (crystalline solids, semiconductors, magnetic materials, etc), or soft materials science (colloids, polymers, biomaterials)?

I've looked at some publications in optics, and i couldn't really understand them! their experimental methods and instrumentation were totally unknown to me. this is despite the fact that there is a professor in chemistry that does research in nonlinear optics at my school. however, if optics is the most employable, then

i looked at some publications in hard materials science (in rare Earth superconductors), and because i took quantum chemistry, statistical thermodynamics and solid state physics for engineers, i could understand them at least partially. however, I'm worried that as i get deeper into quantum physics and solid state physics, there would be 2 problems: 1.) my chemistry background will get wasted and 2.) the math will get extraordinarily harder and 3.) employment.

my current research is in polymer dynamics. however, at the CSUs, there is only one school that has any sort of polymer/biophysics experimental research. usually, this sort of research is carried out at larger, PhD granting institutions which I can't join due to my low GPA. even though this fits my background, i am worried about employment in this field, because outside of pharmaceuticals and printing machinery, i don't know any applications for polymer physics.

this is not very urgent but i'd like some guidance so i can pick coursework better in the future and write a better application letter.

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think you could make a lot of money with a phd in materials science & engineering

Highway said:
i think you could make a lot of money with a phd in materials science & engineering

1. they won't take me due to my low GPA
2. i have little background or interest in some of the research they do in standard materials science and engineering, such as extrusion machinery or solid mechanics.

chill_factor said:
1. they won't take me due to my low GPA
2. i have little background or interest in some of the research they do in standard materials science and engineering, such as extrusion machinery or solid mechanics.

yeah but if you did a ms in something else, you could get good grades and apply after that . . .

Something like 70% of physicists who are not in a University are employed as condensed matter physicists.

But you should seriously consider getting a PhD

i'd like to get a MS first, because my undergrad GPA is kind of low.

i know that condensed matter is most employable, but which subset of condensed matter?

chill_factor said:
i'd like to get a MS first, because my undergrad GPA is kind of low.

i know that condensed matter is most employable, but which subset of condensed matter?

google.com + wikipedia.com or figure it out when you get there

Related to Which specialization is most employable?

1. Which specialization has the highest demand in the job market?

The specialization with the highest demand in the job market varies depending on the current trends and needs of industries. However, some of the most in-demand specializations currently include data science, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, digital marketing, and software engineering.

2. Will my specialization affect my job opportunities?

Yes, your specialization can affect your job opportunities. It is important to research and understand the current job market trends and demands for different specializations. This will help you choose a specialization that aligns with your interests and has good job prospects.

3. How can I increase my employability in my chosen specialization?

There are several ways to increase your employability in your chosen specialization. You can gain practical experience through internships or projects, continuously update your skills and knowledge through courses and certifications, network with professionals in your field, and showcase your work through a portfolio or online presence.

4. Are certain specializations more employable than others?

Yes, certain specializations may have higher demand and job opportunities compared to others. This can be due to the rapid growth of certain industries or the need for specific skills in the job market. However, it is important to choose a specialization that aligns with your interests and strengths, rather than solely focusing on employability.

5. Is it better to have a broad or specialized skillset for employability?

It depends on the industry and job market. Some industries may value a broad skillset, while others may require specialized knowledge and skills. It is important to research and understand the needs and demands of your chosen field to determine if a broad or specialized skillset is more beneficial for employability.