Which schools in the US offer bachelors in mechatronic engineering

In summary, there are multiple schools that offer a bachelors in mechatronic engineering, including Southern Polytechnic State University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Georgia Tech, California State University-Chico, Lawrence Tech, Vaughn, UNC-Ashville, and NCSU. However, it is also possible to learn the same material by combining classes from different majors. It is important to note that many individuals working in this field do not have a mechatronics degree, but rather degrees in Mechanical or Electrical engineering.
whiteg
Which schools offer a bachelors in mechatronic engineering? Any suggestions? I've read a source that claimed that there were 3. I know one is Southern Polytechnic State University in Georgia. What are the others?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "mechatronic" engineering? It might not be offered at a particular school, but you might be able to learn all the same stuff by combining classes from two or 3 other majors.

I don't know anyone that teaches "mechatronic" engineering but there are many that teach electromechanics.

Perhaps a mechatronic engineer is an engineer who is actually a robot, like Arnold Schwartzenegger is a politician who is actually a robot.

Oh, wait, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics" . And since the diagram in that Wikipedia article is from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, it seems RPI is probably one of the other places that offers it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about other schools, but Southern Poly is a solid choice. Georgia Tech just started a Ph.D. program in robotics this Fall so if you have plans for grad school, you could probably transition easily to Georgia Tech after finishing at Southern Poly.

Just from googling, the only ones I could find are SPSU which you mentioned, California State University-Chico, Lawrence Tech, Vaughn, and a joint program between UNC-Ashville and NCSU. I have not heard of many of these schools, so I can't attest to the quality of the programs.

The vast majority of the people I know who do work in the fields that someone with a mechatronics degree would study do not have a mechatronics degree but are Mechanical or Electrical engineers, so do not feel limited by only schools that offer a mechatronics bachelors. Good Luck.

Related to Which schools in the US offer bachelors in mechatronic engineering

1. What is mechatronic engineering?

Mechatronic engineering is a field that combines principles of mechanical, electronic, and computer engineering to design and develop automated systems and machines.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates with a degree in mechatronic engineering?

Graduates with a degree in mechatronic engineering have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and robotics. They can work as design engineers, control systems engineers, automation engineers, and more.

3. Which schools in the US offer bachelors in mechatronic engineering?

Some schools in the US that offer bachelors in mechatronic engineering include University of California, Berkeley, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Michigan, and Purdue University.

4. What are the admission requirements for a bachelors in mechatronic engineering program?

The specific admission requirements may vary from school to school, but most programs require students to have a strong background in math and science, as well as a high school diploma or equivalent. Some schools may also require standardized test scores and letters of recommendation.

5. What courses can I expect to take in a bachelors in mechatronic engineering program?

Courses in a mechatronic engineering program typically include subjects such as mechanical design, control systems, electronics, programming, and robotics. Students may also have the opportunity to participate in hands-on projects and internships to apply their knowledge in real-world settings.