Which Resnick textbook to get for mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about the best textbook for a calculus-based physics course at U of M. The person asking the question is considering the Resnick textbook and is confused about the different versions and volumes available. Another person recommends the original version divided into two volumes and suggests searching the forums for previous discussions. The original version with two authors, David Halliday and Robert Resnick, appears to have better reviews.
Trapper
Hi! This fall, I'll be taking calculus based physics at U of M. This course covers only mechanics I believe, and from what I've researched, the textbook by Resnick is the best for this.

Now my question is: Which of his textbooks should I buy? From what I've found on Amazon, there are multiple versions of his text, including a volume 1&2 and a "Fundamentals" book.

Does anyone have experience with these texts? If so, I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've used both, and I think the original one divided into 2 volumes is better. There has already been a discussion of this I think, just search the forums.

Mine has only two authors, David Halliday and Robert Resnick. It's the third edition of "Physics".

Related to Which Resnick textbook to get for mechanics?

1. What is the difference between the Resnick textbooks for mechanics?

The Resnick textbooks for mechanics are "Fundamentals of Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers." The main difference between these two textbooks is that "Fundamentals of Physics" is more suitable for introductory level courses, while "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" is geared towards more advanced courses.

2. Which Resnick textbook is better for self-study?

Both "Fundamentals of Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" can be used for self-study. However, "Fundamentals of Physics" may be easier to understand for beginners, while "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" may offer more in-depth explanations for advanced learners.

3. Are there significant differences in content between the Resnick textbooks?

Both "Fundamentals of Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" cover the same core concepts in mechanics. However, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" may have additional topics and more advanced problems for further study.

4. Which Resnick textbook is more suitable for preparation for exams?

Both "Fundamentals of Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" are suitable for exam preparation. However, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" may provide more challenging problems and a deeper understanding of the subject, making it a better choice for advanced exams.

5. Is it necessary to have both Resnick textbooks for mechanics?

No, it is not necessary to have both textbooks. Both "Fundamentals of Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" cover the same core concepts in mechanics, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs and level of understanding.