Which ψ do I use for the Expectation Value ?

In summary: The expectation value of energy is derived from the wave function equation by considering the wave function to be a function of a single variable, energy. This equation tells us that the expectation value of a physical quantity (like energy) is the product of the wave function and the energy operator.
SpaceNerdz
I have to calculate the Expectation Value of an Energy Eigenstate : < En >
The integral is ∫ ψ* En ψ dx

I have :
A ) ψ = √L/2 sin nπx/L , a single standing wave of the wave function
B ) ψ = BsinBcosD , the wave function of the particle
C ) ψ = ΣCn ψn = C , sum of all the standing waves

Which ψ do I use ? Why ? What's wrong with using the other two ?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpaceNerdz said:
Which ψ do I use ?

The short answer is, whichever one corresponds to the energy eigenstate you are trying to calculate the expectation value of. But first you need to explain where you are getting these three functions from. What is the physical situation you are asking about? An electron in an atom? A free particle? What?

In other words, wave function is contextual.

SpaceNerdz said:
I have to calculate the Expectation Value of an Energy Eigenstate : < En >
That's not the correct terminology. There is no expectation value "of a state" but only an expectation value of a physical quantity (like energy, position, momentum, spin).

If you calculate the expectation value of energy, you know what to expect in the lab if you repeat the same measurement many times and average over the outcomes. What do I mean with "the same" in this sentence? You need to measure the same physical quantity (energy in this case) and you need to make sure that the system is in the same state [itex]\psi[/itex] for all measurements. So of course, the expectation value of a physical quantity depends on which state [itex]\psi[/itex] your system is in.

The expectation value of energy is often denoted as [itex] \langle H \rangle_{\psi}[/itex] where [itex]H[/itex] stands for the energy operator. Your notation [itex] \langle E_n \rangle[/itex] doesn't make sense, because it specifies only the state (which is [itex]E_n[/itex]) but not the physical quantity of which you want to calculate the expectation value. You may say that it is obvious that you want to calculate the expectation value of energy but we could as well calculate the expectation value of position for your state [itex]E_n[/itex], which would read like this: [itex]\langle X \rangle_{E_n}[/itex].

SpaceNerdz said:
The integral is ∫ ψ* En ψ dx
This formula is only correct if ψ is an energy eigenstate. Where does the formula come from? Has it been derived? Please give context and state your knowledge level.

Last edited:

Related to Which ψ do I use for the Expectation Value ?

1. What is the meaning of ψ in the context of expectation value?

The symbol ψ represents the wave function in quantum mechanics. It is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of a quantum particle in a given state.

2. How do I determine which ψ to use for calculating expectation value?

The wave function ψ depends on the quantum system being studied. It is usually given in the problem statement or can be derived from the given information. The correct ψ to use for calculating expectation value is the one that corresponds to the observable being measured.

3. Can I use any ψ for calculating expectation value?

No, the wave function ψ must satisfy certain mathematical properties in order to accurately describe the quantum system. It must be a single-valued, continuous, and square-integrable function.

4. How do I interpret the result of the expectation value calculation using ψ?

The expectation value represents the average value of a given observable in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the observable operator multiplied by the wave function squared. The resulting value has physical significance and can be interpreted as the most probable value of the observable in the given state.

5. Is the expectation value calculated using ψ always a real number?

Yes, the expectation value is always a real number as it represents a physical quantity in the quantum system. It is important to note that the wave function ψ itself is a complex-valued function, but when squared to calculate the probability amplitude, it results in a real number.