Which professor position would you select?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between an adjunct professor position at MIT and an associate professor position at a 4th tier university. It is stated that the decision depends on personal circumstances and life goals, and that there is value in both choices. However, it is also mentioned that being an adjunct is seen as a dead end in terms of building a career. The speaker shares their own perspective as someone who is retired and considering an adjunct position for a few more years of teaching.
percussive
For a job position:

1. Adjunct professor at MIT
2. Associate professor at a 4th tier university

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this cannot be answered accurately without knowing more about personal circumstances. There are going to be many many many factors that would enter into such a decision. Some of them will not be at all related to academia.

It depends greatly on (1) your present circumstances, and (2) your life goals. Only you can know all of these factors. There is value in both choices, so it simply depends upon what you want to accomplish.

Adjunct is a dead end, no matter where it is.

Meir Achuz said:
Adjunct is a dead end, no matter where it is.

For anyone trying to build a career, either starting out or middle level, I would certainly agree with this statement. That said, I have recently been considering an adjunct position myself after being retired for many years. I have no wish to pursue another tenured position, and I'd just like to teach for a few more years before the grim reaper calls. In my case, I think an adjunct position might work.

Related to Which professor position would you select?

1. What are the qualifications for a professor position?

The qualifications for a professor position typically include a doctoral degree in the relevant field, teaching experience, research experience, and publications in the field. Some positions may also require specific skills or certifications.

2. How do I determine which professor position is right for me?

To determine which professor position is right for you, consider your career goals, research interests, and teaching experience. Look for positions that align with your strengths and interests, and consider the location, salary, and benefits offered.

3. What is the difference between a tenure-track and non-tenure-track professor position?

A tenure-track professor position is a permanent position that leads to tenure, which provides job security and academic freedom. Non-tenure-track positions, such as adjunct or visiting professor positions, are typically temporary and do not lead to tenure.

4. How important are publications for a professor position?

Publications are typically important for professor positions, as they demonstrate research productivity and contribute to the reputation of the university. However, the weight placed on publications may vary depending on the institution and the specific position.

5. What should I consider when negotiating a professor position?

When negotiating a professor position, consider the salary, benefits, teaching load, research expectations, and start-up funds. It is important to also consider the culture and values of the institution, as well as any potential opportunities for professional development and advancement.