Which physics for physical chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether algebra-based physics will be useful for the speaker, who is a biology major with a minor in chemistry and math. It is recommended that the speaker takes calculus-based physics as it will provide a better understanding of the physical concepts. The speaker has faced difficulties in the past with calculus-based physics and is now considering retaking it or taking algebra-based physics. The conversation also mentions the speaker's interests in PCHEM and the requirements for PCHEM at their university. It is suggested that the speaker follows the prerequisites for the PCHEM course and speaks to their professor about the possibility of taking algebra-based physics.
Geo_Zegarra2018
Hey guys,

I was wondering if algebra based physics will be useful or I will be in a disadvantage? I’m doing a minor in chemsitry and math. So I’m not sure when I will take PCHEM. Probably after partial differential equations I will take it. I’m hoping to take it in fall 2019 or spring 2020.im a tranafer student who recently changed major to biology.

Thanks,
Christian

NOTE: I’m asking becaaue I will be taking general physics 1 and 2 in the summer 2018

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend calculus-based physics. You will have more than enough math background for that and the physical concepts will be easier for you to grasp. People like you with a strong math background are sometimes baffled by the subterfuges that are used in algebra-based physics courses to get around the calculus; they don't see what's going on until it's explained to them using calculus. I saw this happen when I taught an algebra-based course. Once I used calculus to explain the same ideas, the students immediately "saw the light". So you might as well do it right from the beginning. In my opinion, algebra-based intro physics courses are easier only for those who have no calculus background.

Likes symbolipoint
The problem is that my professor at the university didn’t really use calculus for the physics class. I took the calculus based physics and I didn’t learn nothing. I got a bad grade (F) that’s because I didn’t have the resources and help. My mom already hired a tutor for me to go over from Scratch starting chapter 1 and hopefully end by chapter 3. I could take the calculus based physics again, but will it benefit me from taking the same professor twice?

I think you have bigger issues than just what class to take. You don't like Halliday and Resnick, you don't like your professor, Mommy hired a tutor and you still failed, somehow unlike the students who passed, you didn't have "the necessary resources and help" (I note in passing you have made zero posts in the homework help section), and yet you want to transfer into Penn State (an extrfemely difficult transfer), and you've been on about this for two years.

I think you need to understand why what you are doing isn't working.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think you have bigger issues than just what class to take. You don't like Halliday and Resnick, you don't like your professor, Mommy hired a tutor and you still failed, somehow unlike the students who passed, you didn't have "the necessary resources and help" (I note in passing you have made zero posts in the homework help section), and yet you want to transfer into Penn State (an extrfemely difficult transfer), and you've been on about this for two years.

I think you need to understand why what you are doing isn't working.

I actually transferred to University At Albany. This was my first time I took Physics and sat through the class. I did take Physics at my community college but withdrew because my calculus wasn't very good. Now 2017, I finished calculus 2 this semester and going to calculus 3. There are students out there who don't have their parents support. I'm very glad and appreciate that I have parents that care for me. I just don't want to pass physics and get a good grade. I want to understand and see how physics plays a role in Biology.

I'm now in majoring biology with a minor in chemistry and math.

My biology major requires the algebra-based physics.

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
My biology major requires the algebra-based physics.
Then take what your major requires. You don't really need calculus to investigate the role that Physics plays in Biology.

kuruman said:
Then take what your major requires. You don't really need calculus to investigate the role that Physics plays in Biology.

I'm interested in taking PCHEM because having a minor in chemistry who is interested in going to grad school for Atmospheric chemistry or chemistry. Some schools require PCHEM

What do you get when you follow the chain of prerequisites for your university's PCHEM course?

Does your university require chemistry majors to take algebra/trig-based physics or calculus-based physics?

jtbell said:
What do you get when you follow the chain of prerequisites for your university's PCHEM course?

Does your university require chemistry majors to take algebra/trig-based physics or calculus-based physics?

When I was a chemistry major I had to take the calculus-based physics. However, I think if I talk to the professor who teaches PHCEM. If I can take the Algebra-based physics. That way I don't get behind because if i wait to retake the calculus-based physics it won't be until fall 2018.

Related to Which physics for physical chemistry?

1. What is the difference between physics and physical chemistry?

Physics is a broad field of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Physical chemistry, on the other hand, is a subfield of chemistry that focuses on the application of physics principles to understand and explain chemical systems.

2. Which branch of physics is most relevant to physical chemistry?

The branch of physics that is most relevant to physical chemistry is thermodynamics. This field of physics deals with the study of energy and its transformation, which is crucial in understanding chemical reactions and properties of matter.

3. Can I study physical chemistry without a strong background in physics?

While a strong background in physics can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for studying physical chemistry. As long as you have a basic understanding of fundamental physics principles, you can learn and apply them to physical chemistry concepts.

4. How does quantum mechanics relate to physical chemistry?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are the building blocks of physical chemistry systems.

5. Can physical chemistry principles be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, physical chemistry principles are used in a wide range of applications, from understanding the properties of materials to developing new medicines and technologies. Physical chemists play a crucial role in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials science.