Which path is right for me: CS+EE or Computer Engineering?

In summary, a computer engineering degree is a combination of both computer science and electrical engineering, with a focus on computer hardware. A CS+EE degree would be great for embedded programming, while computer engineering would concentrate on computer circuit electronics. Both fields offer exciting career opportunities and it ultimately depends on individual interests. Choosing a double major in CS+EE may not be the most efficient use of time and it may be better to pursue a master's degree in one of these fields. It is important to have wise mentors to guide in making these decisions.
Blackwinter
I desire both these skill sets, but I was wondering if computer engineering would be more appropriate, as I am under the impression that it is a mix of both CS and EE, but with a focus on computer hardware. If someone could enlighten me to the main differences between these two paths that would be amazing.

To reiterate: CS+EE vs. Computer engineering.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A computer scientist with hardware skills? Does not compute.

A CS+EE degree would be a great combination for embedded programming. For instance, an airplane has a computer program that gets inputs from pilot controls, accelerometers, and air data sensors and controls surface actuators to fly the airplane. There is a lot of CS and a lot of electronics that is not specific to computers. The computer engineering would concentrate on the computer circuit electronics. Both are exciting fields and can offer a long career. Which to pick depends on your interests. And don't assume that you need to stay in a career that exactly matches your degree. Most people move around a lot.

It depends on the college. In a lot of colleges "Computer Engineering" is kind of a mix of EE and CS. Typically there is a lot of room to specialize in the major. At my college, if you majored in Computer Engineer you could emphasize software or hardware in your electives, or do a balance.

The problem with a CS+EE double major is that they don't overlap all that much and they are both very challenging. It will take you at least 5 years (maybe more) to pull it off. In my opinion you would do better to spend that time getting a master's in EE, CS, or Computer Engineering.

Life transforming advice Analogdesign!

That sounds perfectly right in my gut.

Thanks again.

Blackwinter said:
Life transforming advice Analogdesign!

That sounds perfectly right in my gut.

Thanks again.

No problem! I went through all the same excitement and confusion when I was younger and I was lucky to have some wise mentors advise me. I'm happy to pay that forward.

Regards.

Related to Which path is right for me: CS+EE or Computer Engineering?

What is a dual degree in CS and EE?

A dual degree in CS and EE stands for a dual degree in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. It is a program that allows students to earn two bachelor's degrees in both fields simultaneously.

What is the duration of a dual degree program in CS and EE?

The duration of a dual degree program in CS and EE varies depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, it takes 5-6 years to complete both degrees.

What career opportunities are available with a dual degree in CS and EE?

A dual degree in CS and EE opens up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, telecommunications, software development, computer hardware, and more. Graduates can pursue roles such as software engineer, hardware engineer, systems analyst, data scientist, and more.

What are the benefits of pursuing a dual degree in CS and EE?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual degree in CS and EE. First, it allows students to gain a strong foundation in both computer science and electrical engineering, making them highly versatile and in-demand professionals. Additionally, it can lead to a higher salary and more advanced career opportunities. Lastly, it can also save time and money compared to pursuing both degrees separately.

What are the prerequisites for a dual degree program in CS and EE?

The prerequisites for a dual degree program in CS and EE may vary depending on the institution, but generally, students are required to have a strong background in math, physics, and computer science. They may also be required to have some prior knowledge or experience in programming languages and basic electrical engineering concepts.