Which optics software is recommended for drawing optics schematics?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an optics software that can help draw optics schematics. The suggested software is BRO, developed by Breault, which is known for its work with the University of Arizona. Other alternatives mentioned are Apex and ASAP, but the choice depends on the user's needs and budget. Other software options, such as LightTools, are also mentioned but may not be as comparable.
Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking at www.breault.com (BRO software). They've been developing optical software for decades, and work closely with University of Arizona...one of the best optical studies university in the US. I use Apex, and my senior optics engineer using ASAP. Both are very intuitive... and pricy. It really depends on your need. If you have parametric solid modeling experience I'd look into Apex. If you're into writing script then you could look at ASAP. Again, comes down to your needs & what you're willing to spend. There are many others out there, but none really compare (LightTools, etc).

Related to Which optics software is recommended for drawing optics schematics?

1. What is optics software and what is it used for?

Optics software is a computer program designed for analyzing and simulating optical systems and components. It is used by scientists, engineers, and researchers in various fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering to design and optimize optical systems, analyze light propagation and interaction with materials, and predict the performance of optical components.

2. What are some examples of popular optics software?

Some popular optics software include Zemax, OpticStudio, Code V, VirtualLab Fusion, and LightTools. These programs offer a range of features and capabilities for designing, analyzing, and optimizing optical systems.

3. Can I use optics software if I have no prior experience or knowledge in optics?

While having some background in optics can be helpful, many optics software have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials that can guide beginners in using the program. Additionally, some software offer training and support services for users to learn and use the software effectively.

4. How can I choose the right optics software for my needs?

Choosing the right optics software depends on your specific requirements and the type of optical system or components you are working with. It is important to consider the features, capabilities, and compatibility of the software with your system. Consulting with experts or trying out demos of different software can also help in making a decision.

5. Is optics software expensive?

The cost of optics software varies depending on the specific program and the type of license or subscription. Some software offer free trials or open-source options, while others may require a one-time purchase or a yearly subscription. It is important to research and compare prices to find a software that fits your budget and needs.