Which ones are the Useless moral conventions?

• Thread starter Maryjfl
  • Start date
In summary: Basically, the custom of walking on the outside of the sidewalk to avoid getting one's feet wet is outdated. It is similar to the custom of putting one's coat down in a puddle to avoid getting one's feet wet. It is pointless to do this because the puddle will be deep and the coat will sink into the water. As for celebrating Christmas, it should not be celebrated as a religious holiday. Christians are encouraged to celebrate Easter instead.
Which ones are the Useless moral conventions?
All of them!

Originally posted by WhiteNoise
Well there is a reason a gentleman would walk on the curbside. It was started long ago when automobiles started to emerge as a means of transportation. It is said that if a car (or carriage, possibly), were to drive by and hit a puddle of water, the man would be the one to shield most of the water from hitting the lady. It's somewhat like putting your coat down in a puddle so the lady won't have to get her feet wet, which is somewhat useless also. If the puddle is deep, when the lady steps on the coat, the coat would sink and her feet would get wet along with your coat.
That's not what I was taught.
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Oh, I always walk on the outside, have been taught to when I was a child. But people no longer throw the contents of their chamberpots out of upstairs windows, which was the original reason for the custom. Let the s**t fall on the gentleman, rather than the lady.
That is what I was told.
The custom was that if a man were walking with a lady, he would walk on the outside accepting the risk of getting sh1t on his head out of respect for her.
If he was walking with a whore, she would walk on the outside, because he didn't respect her.
So, if you saw a woman walking on the ouside, that meant that either she was a prostitute, or he was a prick.
Originally posted by Kerrie
i think celebrating christmas for religious purposes is ridiculous...expecially being that it can't be proven that Jesus Christ was born in December, but there is evidence that he was born in October from what I have heard...
Well, if you want to be technical...
It can't be "proven" that he was born at ALL.

I actually don't celebrate holidays at all (with the one exception of Halloween it is my vice).
I don't even celebrate my birthday.
But I agree, if you are going to celebrate Christmas, don't make believe that it is about celebrating Jesus knowing full well it is about celebrating Santa (that other silly figment of social imagination) and the presents he is going to bring you.
(BTW, the way I hear it, it was mid-late September.)

There is a lot of talk about hypocrisy on this thread.
Maybe this is for a different thread, but who isn't a hypocrite?
Someone once told me that EVERYONE is a hypocrite to some level or another.
I don't know if that is true or not, but I WILL say that everyone I have ever met, interracted with or heard about is.
So many hypocrites complaining about hypocrisy...
I think they key is to be aware of what it is you are hypocritical about and be actively trying to change that.
What I hate to see is people who, rather than cop to their hypocrisy and either attempt to make changes in themselves or reevaluate their beliefs and convictions, attempt to deny, justify, hide and/or flaunt their hypocricy while still claim to hold and believe in righteousness of their morals and judge others by those false standards.
Damn that was a long sentence!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to see "mature" people praise WWE fer once. A bunch of people wrote into the newspaper forum and whined about wrestling promoting violence and gore.

Yeah, it's partially about violence and gore, but so what? It's fun to watch. And it's not like I'm going to kill someone because i watched wrestling.

Oh yeah. And people saying that if men should be the ones who treat women. If we got the treat instead, we'd be "disgusting", "as we are taking advantage of them".

Originally posted by Another God
Children being treated like lessers
What i mean by that, is that we raise children with such conflicting hypocracy all their lives, and then wonder why they grow up to be liars and not perfect little angels...
Do as I say, not as I do.
"Why do I have to do that" ---> "Because I said so"
The dictatorial attitude of parents annoys me. If parents are so certain that what they are doing is right, then they should be able to explain to the child their reasons (of course, I understand sometimes it gets tiring, but I maintain my point). If you try raising children as people, giving them the credit as individuals that they are due, then they may grow up into individuals, who feel deserving of respect, and able to give respect.

Deciding that teenagers are trouble
Following on from the Children thing, it is so firmly in the mind of society that every child becomes a pain in the ass when they become a teenager. Why do you think this is? Probably because the parents have raised a hypocritical litel child, and they assume the worst of the child, and so start applying unfair rules, and start ignoring everything the teenager says, assuming its all lies. They then wonder why the teenager gets worse over time.

I guess u could reduce both of those points to the social 'Moral convention' of "Respecting your parents" as if they automatically should be treated as gods, and never questioned.

Any rational parent here would be the first to admit that they are far from infallible.

I couldn't agree with you more on these two points...but, then, that could be because I'm a 15-year-old who has to deal with these two problems all the time.

Originally posted by Mentat
I couldn't agree with you more on these two points...but, then, that could be because I'm a 15-year-old who has to deal with these two problems all the time.
I think you would be the perfect case example Mentat. I'd be willing to bet that you are more intelligent, better behaved, and more well thought than at least 50% of the adults out there that you are forced to respect.

(and I say 'at least 50%' because I do mean At least without wanted to exagerate too much...)

And even though that is the case, you are still thought of as just a teenager who 'thinks he knows everything' and so should therefore have every thought summarily dismissed. People very rarely actualy listen to what teenagers say, because it is easy to assume it is un thought out and not informed.