What it's like to vanish-QM and the nature of consciousness

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of consciousness in relation to quantum mechanics and the thought experiment of Schrödinger's Cat. The discussion covers various interpretations and theories, including the idea that consciousness exists outside of space-time and could potentially continue to exist after death. The conversation also touches on the philosophical concept of Eternal Recurrence.
Steven Taylor
What it's like to vanish--QM and the nature of consciousness

I’ve recently been thinking about the familiar Schrödinger’s Cat thought-experiment. Uncertainty at the quantum level essentially dictates that the rhetorical cat considered in the experiment ‘exists’ in a superposition of states. The cat, we are told, is both dead and alive, until the probability wave function collapses, which only happens when the system (in this case, the cat) is being observed. Common sense dictates, Schrödinger argues, reductio absurdum, that the cat could not simultaneously be both dead and alive; this criticism was leveled against the strict Copenhagen interpretation. Not everyone agrees that such a scenario is absurd. Still others argue the cat in the experiment is/was itself an observer. I’d like to take this last point into consideration.
Suppose the cat in the experiment were conscious and self-aware at the time of the experiment. In other words, suppose the cat were itself an observer. If the experiment resulted in the cat’s being killed, there would be no observer other than the experimenters. The wave function could collapse only when the cat’s state was observed. However, according to quantum theory as I understand it (please point out any misinterpretations), the cat would exist in a superposition of states, neither truly dead nor truly alive up until that point.
What must the cat experience in such a state?
If reality is as observer-dependent as it appears to be, then perhaps observers, like photons, exist outside of space-time. As you achieve the speed of light (you can’t, unless you’re a photon) time stops. All points in time of your existence converge on a single point. I propose that like photons, points of consciousness can neither be destroyed nor created. Although their extension through time may be finite, they occupy the same region of space/time in perpetuity.
Assuming this were the case, for a moment, what would happen when we died? Surely we wouldn’t simply vanish? There’s nothing that it’s like to vanish. We aren’t capable of experiencing something that can‘t be experienced--but we are capable of experiencing our lives in linear time; in fact, we are more or less by our very nature ‘experiencing things’ (in the Cartesian sense of ‘thinking things.’) We are because we experience ourselves being, to put it crudely.
Because conscious experience has a particular extension in time--for example, I am writing this sentence at 10:58 PM on April 17, 2003 and no matter what happens to me in the future, I will always have been (be?) writing this sentence at or around that time--and consciousness is bound to the linear perception of time, doesn’t it then stand to reason that if we ever existed in time as observers, we could only observe (experience) those portions of time in which we existed as observers? It seems almost tautological, but it conceals an intriguing possibility. Perhaps we are reliving--or more accurately, living for the first time--a single-experience of consciousness, throughout eternity. This is in fact Nietzsche’s theory of Eternal Recurrence, interpreted in light of developments in quantum theory.

Physics news on Phys.org

Greetings Steven Taylor !

I believe that such weird and paradoxical
stuff can often emerge if you follow QM
too "closely". That is, if you trust every
equation it contains not as a mere mathematical
description but rather as a real and full one.

I also believe that it was shown through experiment
that the collapse of the wave function is a very
delicate matter and thus you need not consider
large and complex systems in a state of superposition.

Live long and prosper.

1. What does quantum mechanics have to do with vanishing?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It has been proposed that the principles of quantum mechanics may help explain the phenomenon of vanishing, where an object disappears without a trace.

2. How does consciousness play a role in vanishing?

Consciousness, or the awareness and subjective experience of the mind, is still a mystery in the field of science. Some theories suggest that consciousness may have a direct influence on the behavior of particles, which could potentially explain the vanishing phenomenon.

3. Is there any scientific evidence for vanishing?

Currently, there is no concrete scientific evidence for vanishing. However, there have been reported cases of objects disappearing under unusual circumstances, which have sparked interest and further investigation into this phenomenon.

4. Can vanishing be explained by other theories, such as teleportation?

While teleportation and vanishing may seem similar, they are different concepts. Teleportation involves the transfer of matter from one location to another, whereas vanishing suggests that the object simply disappears without any physical movement. It is possible that vanishing may have a different explanation than teleportation.

5. What implications does the study of vanishing have on our understanding of the universe?

The study of vanishing and its connection to quantum mechanics and consciousness challenges our current understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of reality. It opens up new avenues of research and raises questions about the true nature of the universe and our place within it.