Which of the symptoms is characteristic for food allergy

In summary, the conversation discusses the symptoms of food allergy and the difficulty in determining which symptom is characteristic for it. The options mentioned include bumps on the face, difficulty in breathing, and flu, but it is advised to seek proper medical advice for accurate diagnosis and treatment.
zade70

Homework Statement

bumps (pimple) on the face
difficulty in breathing
flue
none of these

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm between the first and second.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a theoretical question, I will leave it for the medically trained as personal experiences show that not everyone presents the same symptoms with allergic reactions to some things, and especially consumables.

If you actually are experiencing symptoms and are trying to self diagnose, I recommend you seek proper medical advice instead. In general, the people here are helpful and like to present positive and correct answers, but some situations demand seeking a professional opinion. Personal health and survival is one of those.

zade70 said:

Homework Statement

bumps (pimple) on the face
difficulty in breathing
flue
none of these

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm between the first and second.
You are correct to reject the 3rd choice "flu".

I think the difficulty in choosing between #1 and #2 may be an issue of semantics or language translation. Both difficulty breathing and a rash can be signs of an allergic reaction. But what kind of rash? How does it develop, and what does it look like? :smile:

Wee-Lamm said:
If you actually are experiencing symptoms and are trying to self diagnose, I recommend you seek proper medical advice instead.
I'm pretty sure it is just a schoolwork question. :smile:

Related to Which of the symptoms is characteristic for food allergy

1. What are the common symptoms of a food allergy?

The most common symptoms of a food allergy include hives, rash, itching, swelling of the lips, tongue, or throat, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, wheezing, difficulty breathing, and anaphylaxis.

2. How can I tell if I have a food allergy?

If you experience any of the common symptoms listed above after consuming a particular food, it is likely that you have a food allergy. It is recommended to see an allergist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

3. Can food allergies develop later in life?

Yes, it is possible for food allergies to develop at any age. While some people may outgrow their food allergies, others may develop new allergies later in life.

4. What foods are most likely to cause an allergic reaction?

The most common food allergens include peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, milk, eggs, soy, and wheat. However, any food can potentially cause an allergic reaction.

5. Are food allergies the same as food intolerances?

No, food allergies and food intolerances are different. A food allergy involves an immune response to a particular food, whereas a food intolerance does not involve the immune system and is often caused by the body's inability to digest a certain food.