Which of the Following is Incorrect Regarding Matrices and Vectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses various statements related to matrices and their properties. The first statement (a) states that if a squared matrix satisfies the equation $A^2-A=0$, then it must be either equal to the zero matrix or the imaginary unit matrix. The correctness of this statement is confirmed through an example. The following statement (b) discusses the commutativity of diagonal matrices, which is not always true. The third statement (c) talks about diagonalizability of a 4x4 matrix with specific eigenvalues. However, it is noted that this is not possible since each eigenvalue appears only once. The next statement (d) talks about the dimension of the polynomial space of order 3, which is actually
Yankel
One last question on these topics, I need to choose the WRONG statement, and they all seem correct to me...

a) If A is a squared matrix for which
\[A^{2}-A=0\]

then A=0 or A=i

b) If A and B are diagonal matrices, then Ab=BA

c) A 4X4 matrix with eigenvalues 1,0,-1,2 is "diagonlizable"

d) The dimension of the polynomials space of order 3 (ax^3+bx^2+...) is 4

e) If two vectors are linearly dependent, then one is necessarily a multiplication of the other

'a' is correct
'b', not sure, I tried one example, it worked
'c' Each eigenvalue appears once, so it's not possible to have an eigenvalue which appears twice with corresponding 1 eigenvector (for example)
'd' Isn't it 4 ?
'e' I think so...

will appreciate your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Concerning answer a): consider
$$A=\begin{bmatrix} 1 &1 \\ 0 &0 \end{bmatrix}.$$

To underscore a common mistake:

Just because:

$A^2 - A = A(A - I) = 0$

There is NO REASON to believe $A = 0$ or $A - I = 0$.

It is VERY POSSIBLE to have matrices $A,B$ with $AB = 0$ but $A,B \neq 0$.

Any such matrix, of course, is singular.

Related to Which of the Following is Incorrect Regarding Matrices and Vectors?

1. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables, while a vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers or variables. A matrix can have multiple rows and columns, while a vector has only one row or column.

2. Can a matrix and a vector be added or multiplied together?

No, a matrix and a vector cannot be added or multiplied together. In order for two matrices or two vectors to be added or multiplied, they must have the same dimensions. Since a matrix and a vector have different dimensions, they cannot be added or multiplied together.

3. What is the purpose of using matrices and vectors in scientific calculations?

Matrices and vectors are used in scientific calculations to represent and manipulate large sets of data. They allow for efficient and organized storage of data, as well as simplifying complex mathematical operations.

4. How are matrices and vectors used in fields such as computer science and physics?

In computer science, matrices and vectors are used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate 2D and 3D objects. In physics, matrices and vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

5. Can a matrix or vector have any number of dimensions?

No, a matrix or vector can only have a maximum of two dimensions. A matrix has two dimensions, rows and columns, while a vector has one dimension, either a single row or column. Higher dimensional arrays are called tensors.