Which of the arrangements of two compasses shown in the figure is a

• Thread starter outxbreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, two compasses brought near each other can have larger magnetic fields than the earth's, causing their needles to line up. The possible stable arrangement would be one where the two compasses are attracted to each other, as forces between like poles and unlike poles follow the same rules of electric forces.
outxbreak
1. If two compasses are brought near enough to each other, the magnetic fields of the compasses themselves will be larger than the field of the earth, and the needles will line up with each other

Which of the arrangements of two compasses shown in the figure is a possible stable arrangement?

jfk.Figure.24.Q37.jpg

3. My best guess is A because they are not pointed toward one another.. I have no clue about the concept the question is trying to test!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about forces between like poles and unlike poles?

Likes 1 person
forces

I only know the very basics tbh. The forces follow same rules of electric forces (N&N/S&S) repel but N and S attract.

I figured it out! The answer is c because they are attracted to each other, their natural stable relationship.

So then a stable configuration would be one where they are attracted to each other. You basically answered your own question :p

Related to Which of the arrangements of two compasses shown in the figure is a

1. What is the purpose of the two compasses shown in the figure?

The two compasses shown in the figure are used to demonstrate different arrangements of magnetic fields.

2. How are the two compasses different from each other?

The two compasses shown in the figure are different in terms of their relative orientation and the strength of the magnetic fields they produce.

3. Which of the two compasses is a parallel arrangement?

The compasses arranged horizontally and vertically are considered to be in a parallel arrangement, as the magnetic fields are parallel to each other.

4. What is the significance of the parallel arrangement in the study of magnetism?

The parallel arrangement of the compasses helps to demonstrate the concept of magnetic poles and how they interact with each other.

5. How can the parallel arrangement of the compasses be used in practical applications?

The parallel arrangement of compasses is commonly used in devices such as magnetic compasses, electric motors, and generators, which rely on the interaction of magnetic fields to function.