Which must be first? Beginner programming, or Algebra 1?

In summary, I think it is better to teach programming before algebra, but this is not always practical.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I am just curious about this. Must one of these be taught before the other, or does the order not really matter? Should a student be taught beginning computer programming AFTER being taught introductory algebra 1? Or can the reverse order be done? My guess is that learning Algebra 1 first is better, but I cannot say for sure if this is correct or incorrect, so it's only my opinion; so I ask, wondering if anyone has better insight about this.

Science news on Phys.org
Fourth graders and younger can learn programming as in general you need to understand basic arithmetic. However, an understanding of algebra is definitely a plus as you will instinctively code your equations correctly and will know how to simplify them. Regular algebra will also help when doing boolean operations as well as they follow similar principles of expression reduction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra

If you are interested in programming then I suggest you checkout Processing:

www.processing.org

There are a large collection of programming examples, many cool libraries that can extend your program's power and its just fun to play with.

I learned BASIC on ticker-tape in junior high school (I guess we must have been a fairly privileged school district), which was probably before I was learning much in the way of algebra. But I agree w/ @jedishrfu that algebra will help you grasp the concept of a variable. It could be a nice two-way street for learning; in fact I'd bet there must be teaching programs set up for youngsters where algebra concepts are developed via small programs.

EDIT: Here we go - second hit on a Google for "programming algebra" - https://code.org/curriculum/algebra

And here's the sixth hit, which looks like it's a module in an online course for young learners - a lesson explaining some of the differences between coding & algebra: https://www.learneroo.com/modules/11/nodes/102

Etc.

The basics of programming are not exclusively revolving around algebra. It's based on some elements of (native) language.
Programming can be taught at the moment one can write and read. And even this is just a practical lower limit.
I think it should be taught at that time. Gives a good boost to the thinking process: cause and consequence in a logical and understandable system.
Unfortunately, there is one another practical limit. Learning materials for this age are rare.

Algebra will be needed before you get to what I regard as the "good stuff" or the real power in programming.

But not for a first programming course.

I learned programming well before I learned algebra.

So, programming can be learned first, and this is especially true with modern visual programming languages such as Scratch.

Related to Which must be first? Beginner programming, or Algebra 1?

1. What is the importance of learning beginner programming?

Learning beginner programming is important because it introduces you to the fundamental concepts and logic behind computer programming. It also helps you develop problem-solving skills and prepares you for more advanced programming languages.

2. Is it necessary to learn Algebra 1 before starting beginner programming?

While knowledge of algebra can be helpful in understanding certain programming concepts, it is not necessary to know it before starting beginner programming. However, having a basic understanding of math and logic can make learning programming easier.

3. Will learning beginner programming make it easier to learn Algebra 1?

Yes, learning beginner programming can make it easier to learn Algebra 1. Many programming languages use mathematical concepts, so understanding programming can help solidify your understanding of algebraic concepts.

4. Can I learn beginner programming and Algebra 1 simultaneously?

It is possible to learn both beginner programming and Algebra 1 simultaneously, but it may be more challenging. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of one before starting to learn the other. However, if you are motivated and dedicated, you can certainly learn them both at the same time.

5. How can I decide whether to start with beginner programming or Algebra 1?

The decision to start with beginner programming or Algebra 1 depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are interested in computer science or programming, starting with beginner programming may be more beneficial. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a field that requires a strong understanding of algebra, starting with Algebra 1 may be a better choice. Ultimately, it is important to choose the option that aligns with your interests and goals.