Which Mobile Communication Technology is More Energy Efficient: T-DMB or LTE?

• Thread starter ZeeSteen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the power consumption of Digital Mobile Broadcasting, specifically T-DMB, and its implementation in mobile phones. The speaker is having trouble finding sources that give the power consumption numbers for T-DAB, but has found some for LTE. They are interested in comparing the power consumption of both technologies when streaming a 480p video. The speaker acknowledges that this may be against the rules, but they are desperate for assistance in finding this information.
ZeeSteen
Hi guys,I read an IEEE article on Digital Mobile Broadcasting and I started wondering about the power consumption of the technology, especially T-DMB.

T-DMB can be implemented in mobile phones (and is already being done), and I was wondering how 'profitable' it is for your battery life to stream video over T-DAB <--> LTE.. The problem is that I'm having a very hard time finding sources that give me the numbers.

I've found 'some numbers' for LTE saying it uses about 1000-3500 mW.
But I can't find any for T-DAB

The thing I'd like to compare at the end is, if you'd be watching a 480p video stream, what's the power consumed by both communication technologies (T-DAB <--> LTE).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bumping is probably not allowed.. But I'm still giving it a go since I really need some help with this..

Related to Which Mobile Communication Technology is More Energy Efficient: T-DMB or LTE?

1. What is the difference between power usage for T-DMB and LTE?

T-DMB (Terrestrial Digital Multimedia Broadcasting) and LTE (Long-Term Evolution) are two different technologies used for mobile broadcasting and communication. The main difference in power usage between the two lies in their underlying technology and the purpose for which they were designed. T-DMB was primarily designed for broadcasting audio and video content, while LTE was designed for high-speed data connectivity. As a result, T-DMB consumes less power compared to LTE as it is not constantly transmitting and receiving data.

2. Which technology is more power-efficient, T-DMB or LTE?

It depends on the context and usage. As mentioned earlier, T-DMB consumes less power due to its purpose of broadcasting content. However, if you are looking for high-speed data connectivity, LTE may be more power-efficient as it is designed for that specific purpose. It is important to consider the intended usage when comparing power efficiency between T-DMB and LTE.

3. Does power usage for T-DMB and LTE vary based on the device?

Yes, power usage for T-DMB and LTE can vary based on the device. The power consumption of a device depends on its hardware and software components, as well as the efficiency of its battery. Some devices may have more efficient hardware and software, resulting in lower power usage for both T-DMB and LTE. Additionally, the quality of the battery and its capacity can also affect power usage.

4. Are there any factors that can impact the power usage of T-DMB and LTE?

Yes, there are several factors that can impact the power usage of T-DMB and LTE. One major factor is the signal strength. If the signal is weak, the device will consume more power to maintain a connection. Another factor is the distance from the broadcasting tower. The farther the device is from the tower, the more power it will need to maintain a stable connection. Additionally, the type of content being transmitted can also affect power usage. For example, streaming high-definition video will consume more power compared to streaming audio content.

5. Is there a significant difference in power usage between T-DMB and LTE in real-world usage?

It depends on the usage scenario. In general, T-DMB will consume less power compared to LTE in real-world usage as it is not constantly transmitting and receiving data. However, if the device is being used for data-intensive tasks, such as streaming high-quality videos or downloading large files, the power usage between the two technologies may become more comparable. It is important to consider the specific usage scenario when comparing power usage between T-DMB and LTE in the real world.