Which materials have the highest coefficients of friction?

In summary, the high coefficient of static friction for dry contact between metals is due to the alignment of the crystal structure of the two samples.
ItDoesn'tMatter
I am aware that there needs to be two materials for there to be a coefficient of friction, but I mean in general. For example, I know synthetic setae are very resistant to slipping on surfaces.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Low grit sandpaper is really good at not slipping over wood :smile:

Likes OmCheeto
Depending upon your application, non-skid tape sold for boat and running board applications is quite good for both wood and other mating soft materials and for ice as well; but, it wears out quickly against concrete.

ItDoesn'tMatter said:
I am aware that there needs to be two materials for there to be a coefficient of friction, but I mean in general.
The highest coefficients of static friction are for dry contact between identical metals.
Examples of coefficients ≥ 1.00 are;
1.00 Iron — self
1.00 Copper — self
1.05 Copper — Cast iron
1.10 Cast iron — self
1.10 to 1.35 Aluminium — self
1.15 Rubber — self
1.20 Platinum — self
1.40 Silver — self
1.46 Indium — self

Likes Andy SV
Baluncore said:
The highest coefficients of static friction are for dry contact between identical metals.
Examples of coefficients ≥ 1.00 are;
1.00 Iron — self
1.00 Copper — self
1.05 Copper — Cast iron
1.10 Cast iron — self
1.10 to 1.35 Aluminium — self
1.15 Rubber — self
1.20 Platinum — self
1.40 Silver — self
1.46 Indium — self
That's interesting I did not know that about self stick of metals

ItDoesn'tMatter said:
For example, I know synthetic setae are very resistant to slipping on surfaces.
The setae on small animals feet conform to follow the surface so a high proportion of the area can have an attractive adhesion. By conforming to the surface there is never a high pressure exerted on a high point that would push the foot away from the surface and counter the adhesion.

The friction coefficient is I believe a different phenomenon. With friction, only the total force is important because some patches will carry higher contact force while others patches will have none. Friction is one sided. It does not allow you to walk across the ceiling, or even to climb a vertical wall.

Andy SV said:
That's interesting I did not know that about self stick of metals
Yes, it is peculiar since the dry surfaces do not immediately cold weld to each other. Maybe there is enough surface oxidation to prevent a weld forming.

The crystal structure in the two samples is extremely unlikely to be aligned on the sample interface so the contact surface must be the average of all the diagonal contact “dislocations”, hence the high coefficient without a weld forming.

The thing that at first glance surprised me was indium. It has the highest static coefficient against itself in the list, yet it is used as the surface layer on thin shell engine bearings. I believe that is because it is highly resistant to acids and runs only against cast iron, steel or chrome that is very well lubricated with oil.

The list also demonstrates another reason why copper sheet makes such a good head gasket for old tractors with cast iron blocks and heads.

I once asked a tire company about drag tire friction coefficient. Here what was their response:
You may wish to review SAE paper #942484 (Chuck Hallum) for some very interesting findings on how a Top Fuel drag tire works. Statically, the coefficient of friction is 3.0 but dynamically the 36.0x17.0-16 Top Fuel tire generates close to 5.0 . We have some of the data you have requested and hope you find it helpful. The coefficient of friction is speed dependent and declines with speed. In our Pro Stock tire (33.0X17.0-15 in D-6 tread compound) the coefficient of friction was measured in the laboratory (flat belt treated with VHT track prep tackier application) for various speeds:

0 MPH 3.0
40 MPH 2.9
80 MPH 2.0
120 MPH 1.8

Baluncore said:
Yes, it is peculiar since the dry surfaces do not immediately cold weld to each other. Maybe there is enough surface oxidation to prevent a weld forming.

The crystal structure in the two samples is extremely unlikely to be aligned on the sample interface so the contact surface must be the average of all the diagonal contact “dislocations”, hence the high coefficient without a weld forming.

The thing that at first glance surprised me was indium. It has the highest static coefficient against itself in the list, yet it is used as the surface layer on thin shell engine bearings. I believe that is because it is highly resistant to acids and runs only against cast iron, steel or chrome that is very well lubricated with oil.

The list also demonstrates another reason why copper sheet makes such a good head gasket for old tractors with cast iron blocks and heads.
This is pure speculation but maybe the similarities of field allow the two samples to get closer together ... The only way I can think to say it is, less zero distance?

phinds said:
Low grit sandpaper is really good at not slipping over wood :smile:
"Over wood"... What kind of wood and how was the surface prepared? Was it polished or roughed up? Was the aluminum polished or roughed up? The highest friction is when the two surfaces are like Velcro, even at the micro level. So, can we ask "what is the friction coefficient of sand paper on sand paper?" Why not?

The other factor is pressure. Are you assuming friction under low pressure or high? Low gravity conditions or high? Molecular structures can dramatically change their behavior under different conditions.

CWatters said:
Interestingly metal on metal can be quite high..

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html

Car tire on Asphalt = 0.72
Aluminum on Aluminum 1.05 - 1.35

It's worth mentioning that 0.72 is very low for a modern tire. All season tires these days are closer to 0.85, summer tires are around 1, and racing tires can be in excess of 1.2 (sometimes very far in excess, as demonstrated by Jack Action's post above).

{ Packrat memory...}

You must be very careful not to damage ultra-flat 'Jo Blocks' aka Gage / Gauge blocks, as they are so smooth, they'll stick together...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block

IIRC, although it is not strictly friction, some materials exhibit 'vacuum welding' under ambient conditions. Worse, some steel alloys may gall or seize under stress, so you must use slightly different grades for nuts & bolts...

Slip gauges are wrung together with a thin film of light oil between the blocks. That film prevents the blocks from contacting, wearing or welding. The wrung blocks are held together by air pressure. They can slide sideways but the force needed to shear the mono-molecular film is quite high. Strictly speaking it is not a frictional force but the shear of a very thin layer of viscous liquid.

Too true, but if mishandled, 'wrung dry', they may be ruined.

Related to Which materials have the highest coefficients of friction?

1. What is a coefficient of friction?

A coefficient of friction is a measurement of the force required to move one surface over another. It is a dimensionless value that represents the ratio of the force of friction to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer. This device applies a known force to a test object and measures the force required to move it over a surface. The ratio of these two forces is the coefficient of friction.

3. What materials have the highest coefficients of friction?

The materials with the highest coefficients of friction are typically rough and coarse surfaces, such as sandpaper, rubber, and asphalt. These materials have a high level of surface roughness, which increases the amount of friction between them and another surface.

4. Why is it important to know the coefficient of friction?

Knowing the coefficient of friction is important for understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It can help engineers design structures and machines with the appropriate amount of friction to ensure safety and efficiency. It is also important for predicting the performance of vehicles, such as tires on roads.

5. Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering the properties of the surfaces in contact. For example, adding a lubricant can reduce the coefficient of friction between two surfaces. Additionally, changing the surface roughness or texture can also affect the coefficient of friction.