Which Liquid Would Form the Densest Vapor Upon Heating?

In summary, the question asks which of the given liquids would produce the densest vapor when heated. The correct answer is C, CH3(CH2)4CH2Br, due to its similar molar volume to the other options at standard conditions. However, the question raises the question of whether the vapor pressure at a given temperature and pressure would be roughly the same for each solution, as they have different intermolecular forces and molecular weights. This may be difficult to determine without more information.
mayer

Homework Statement

Which of the following liquids would form the densest vapor upon heating?
A. CH3CH2CH2OH
B .CH3(CH2)3CH2Cl
C. CH3(CH2)4CH2Br
D. (CH3)3CCH2OH

Homework Equations

None really

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know the answer already, its C. My question is why? I got B, my reasoning was that it is the lightest and has the least inter-molecular forces, which would result in a higher vapor pressure at a given temperature. Now the solution states it is C because at standard conditions, the molar volume is roughly the same. Does this mean, at the same temperature and pressure, the vapor pressure above each solution will be roughly the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which gas is more dense: hydrogen, or sulfur hexafluoride?

That would be sulfur hexafluoride. But my confusion is that in the question, the molecules are liquids and are producing vapor while still in the liquid phase. So is the question that I posted asking about which vapor is densest when both are produced to equal volume? Don't they have different imf and M.W. so that each liquid produces different amounts of vapor pressure at a given temperature?

Different pressures of the saturated vapor for sure, but I don't think you have enough information to judge that (especially when there are opposite effects at work). Approach based just on the molar mass is easy to defend - you compare things assuming everything else is identical.

Ah I see, that'll be important to consider in future questions. Thanks!

Related to Which Liquid Would Form the Densest Vapor Upon Heating?

1. What is the definition of "liquid with the densest vapor"?

The "liquid with the densest vapor" refers to a liquid substance that has the highest vapor density, or the amount of vapor produced by a liquid at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is the density of a liquid's vapor determined?

The density of a liquid's vapor is determined by measuring the mass of the vapor produced by the liquid at a specific temperature and pressure and comparing it to the volume of the vapor.

3. What is the significance of a liquid having a high vapor density?

A liquid with a high vapor density is more likely to evaporate quickly and produce a larger amount of vapor. This can be important in industries such as perfume and cleaning products, where strong scents or fumes are desired.

4. Which liquid has the densest vapor?

At room temperature and standard pressure, water has the densest vapor compared to other commonly used liquids such as alcohol and gasoline.

5. How does temperature and pressure affect the vapor density of a liquid?

In general, an increase in temperature and a decrease in pressure will result in a higher vapor density for a liquid. This is because higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of the molecules, making them more likely to escape into the vapor phase, and lower pressures mean there are fewer gas molecules present to compete with the liquid molecules for space.