Please help me with my homework

• Thread starter swoosh18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation revolves around two questions related to the topics of quantum mechanics and experience, specifically in reference to David Albert's book. The first question discusses the collapse postulate for 2-particle systems and its implications on the separability of states. The second question delves into the measurement problem and the role of linearity in the dynamical equations of motion, along with the importance of understanding the problem and seeking help in the appropriate section.
swoosh18
I would be so thankful for anyone who could help me with any of the following questions (this is for a class entitled Physics and Philosophy):

1) Show explicitly (by means of the collapse postulate for 2-particle systems) that if the state of a certain pair of particles is separable, then a measurement on either one of them can have no effect whatsoever on the physical reality of the other.

2) Explain how the linearity of the dynamical equations of motion lead to the measurement problem. What assumptions go into your argument?

(these questions are in reference to David Albert's book: Quantum Mechanics and Experience

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You probably should post these in the "homework" section.

2) No one will do your homework for you. Show us what you understand of the problem, what you have done so far, and, as precisely as possible, where you run into trouble. That will help people understand what kind of hints will help you the most. The more work YOU do, the better.

)

Sure, I would be happy to help you with your homework. However, it is important for you to understand the concepts and solve the problems on your own. I can offer guidance and clarification, but it is ultimately up to you to do the work and learn from it. With that being said, let's take a look at the questions you have.

1) The collapse postulate for 2-particle systems states that when a measurement is made on one particle, the state of the other particle will collapse into a corresponding state. This means that if the state of a pair of particles is separable, then the state of one particle is independent of the state of the other particle. This also means that any measurement on one particle will not affect the physical reality of the other particle because their states are not entangled. Therefore, the collapse postulate for 2-particle systems shows that measurements on one particle cannot have any effect on the physical reality of the other particle.

2) The measurement problem in quantum mechanics arises from the linearity of the dynamical equations of motion. This means that the Schrodinger equation, which governs the evolution of a quantum system, is linear and does not allow for the collapse of the wave function upon measurement. This leads to the question of how and when the wave function collapses, and what causes it to collapse. This is known as the measurement problem.

The assumption that goes into this argument is that the measurement process should have a definite and unambiguous outcome. However, in quantum mechanics, the measurement process is probabilistic and the outcome is not definite until the measurement is made. This leads to the question of what constitutes a measurement and how it affects the system being measured. David Albert's book, Quantum Mechanics and Experience, delves deeper into this topic and discusses different interpretations of quantum mechanics that attempt to address the measurement problem.

I hope this helps you in understanding and tackling these questions. Remember, it is important to put in the effort and try to solve the problems on your own. Good luck!

1. How do I find someone to help me with my homework?

There are a few ways to find someone to help you with your homework. You can ask a friend or classmate, join a study group, or hire a tutor. You can also ask your teacher or professor for extra help during office hours.

2. How can I make sure the person helping me with my homework is qualified?

If you are hiring a tutor, make sure to check their credentials and experience. If you are asking a friend or classmate, make sure they have a good understanding of the subject. You can also ask for recommendations from your teacher or other trusted sources.

3. How much should I pay someone to help me with my homework?

The cost of hiring someone to help you with your homework will vary depending on their qualifications and the complexity of the subject. It is important to discuss payment beforehand and come to an agreement that is fair for both parties.

4. Is it cheating to get help with my homework?

No, it is not cheating to get help with your homework. It is important to make sure that the help you receive is within the guidelines set by your teacher or professor. Getting help can also improve your understanding of the subject and help you learn more effectively.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand my homework after getting help?

If you are still struggling with your homework after getting help, it is important to communicate this with your teacher or professor. They may be able to provide additional resources or clarify any confusion. You can also seek out other sources of help, such as online tutoring or study groups.