Which kind of diode to handle flyback voltage?

In summary: So I think I'll be fine with the 1N4002 diode. Thank you for clarifying the terminology! In summary, the conversation discusses the use of flyback diodes in an H bridge circuit for a 5 volt DC motor. The individual is unsure of which diode to use and how high the flyback voltage can get. They are advised to use a 1N4002 diode and to read about reverse recovery time for further understanding. The conversation also touches on the use of freewheeling diodes and the difference between mosfet and non-mosfet drivers.
aquitaine
Lately I've been rediscovering my old interest in electronics and in my own time I've been looking through some tutorials on various things I decided to go ahead and build one, an H bridge circuit for a 5 volt DC motor. My question is I'm not clear on which diode I should use as flyback diodes, 1N4002 or 1N5817? And I'm also not clear on something else, for a relatively low power 5 volt circuit how high can the flyback voltage get?

Engineering news on Phys.org
aquitaine said:
Lately I've been rediscovering my old interest in electronics and in my own time I've been looking through some tutorials on various things I decided to go ahead and build one, an H bridge circuit for a 5 volt DC motor. My question is I'm not clear on which diode I should use as flyback diodes, 1N4002 or 1N5817? And I'm also not clear on something else, for a relatively low power 5 volt circuit how high can the flyback voltage get?

Can you post a schematic and the specs you want to meet? Why are you using the flyback topology instead of a forward converter?

And what do you know about building an off-line power supply in terms of safety? Where do the fuse, switch, and ground connections go? And why? :smile:

If the diodes are across the H-bridge drivers then a 1N400x series diode should be fine. The 1N5817 is a Schottky barrier type so it will be faster to turn on faster from reverse voltage and back but at low voltage/power levels I don't think there will be much difference.

How high the voltage can be? Well it depends: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/flyback-diodes.705218/#post-4470396

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
It's not critical. Whatever you find in your junk drawer will work fine for a puny little 5V motor. And don't worry about how high a flyback voltage can get. The point of flyback diodes is to ensure that it doesn't.

If you have schottky then use it because it will not be a temporary short circuit when you go back to reverse bias. Read about reverse recovery time.

berkeman said:
Can you post a schematic and the specs you want to meet? Why are you using the flyback topology instead of a forward converter?

And what do you know about building an off-line power supply in terms of safety? Where do the fuse, switch, and ground connections go? And why? :smile:

I'm powering it with a 9 volt battery run through a 7805 voltage regulator. It will be built on a breadboard, the ground connections go to the common ground. The fuse is me ripping out the power connections when it starts smoking. The schematic is basically this.

nsaspook said:
If the diodes are across the H-bridge drivers then a 1N400x series diode should be fine. The 1N5817 is a Schottky barrier type so it will be faster to turn on faster from reverse voltage and back but at low voltage/power levels I don't think there will be much difference.

How high the voltage can be? Well it depends: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/flyback-diodes.705218/#post-4470396

The post you linked is very informative, thank you. I think I'll go with the 1N4002.

Alec Dacyczyn said:
It's not critical. Whatever you find in your junk drawer will work fine for a puny little 5V motor. And don't worry about how high a flyback voltage can get. The point of flyback diodes is to ensure that it doesn't.

An excellent point, thank you.

meBigGuy said:
If you have schottky then use it because it will not be a temporary short circuit when you go back to reverse bias. Read about reverse recovery time.

I'm not going with the schottky diode, but it sounds like something interesting to read about anyway. Thanks.

aquitaine said:
I'm powering it with a 9 volt battery run through a 7805 voltage regulator. It will be built on a breadboard, the ground connections go to the common ground. The fuse is me ripping out the power connections when it starts smoking. The schematic is basically this.

Ah, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were building an off-line AC-DC power supply (when I saw "flyback"). But you're building a low-voltage motor controller. Never mind my comment then. o0)

I think really the term you are looking for is Freewheeling diode vs Flyback - if the driver ckt is Mosfet the body diode may be able to handle the Free Wheeling current - otherwise a basic small diode will probably do the trick - it would depend on if you are doing PWM speed control or just using the H bridge for directional (on off) as well - but using an H bridge I am assuming PWM ..

Likes berkeman
Windadct said:
I think really the term you are looking for is Freewheeling diode vs Flyback - if the driver ckt is Mosfet the body diode may be able to handle the Free Wheeling current - otherwise a basic small diode will probably do the trick - it would depend on if you are doing PWM speed control or just using the H bridge for directional (on off) as well - but using an H bridge I am assuming PWM ..
As far as I understand it the chip I'm using isn't mosfet. I'm using it for direction and not speed control.

Related to Which kind of diode to handle flyback voltage?

FAQs about Handling Flyback Voltage with Diodes

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is a flyback voltage?

A flyback voltage is a sudden spike in voltage that occurs when a circuit is turned off, causing a rapid change in the magnetic field and inducing a high voltage in the reverse direction.

2. Why is it important to handle flyback voltage?

Flyback voltage can cause damage to electronic components and disrupt the functioning of a circuit. It is important to handle it properly to protect the circuit and ensure its proper operation.

3. What kind of diode should I use to handle flyback voltage?

For handling flyback voltage, a diode with a high reverse breakdown voltage and fast switching speed should be used. Schottky diodes and fast recovery diodes are commonly used for this purpose.

4. How do I calculate the necessary diode specifications for handling flyback voltage?

The necessary diode specifications can be calculated by considering the maximum flyback voltage expected, the maximum current that will flow through the diode, and the switching speed required for the application. Consult a datasheet or use online calculators to determine the appropriate diode specifications.

5. Can multiple diodes be used to handle flyback voltage?

Yes, multiple diodes can be connected in parallel to handle higher flyback voltages or currents. However, care must be taken to ensure proper distribution of voltage and current among the diodes to prevent one diode from bearing the majority of the load. Alternatively, a single diode with higher specifications can also be used.