Solving Dropped Tennis Ball Problem: Calculating Force of Floor

In summary, the ball is stopped in a distance of 0.6 cm after being dropped from 5 meters. The force exerted on the ball is equal to the acceleration of the ball multiplied by the displacement.
J.T.
Hello! I was hoping I could receive some help with a certain problem.

A 0.7kg tennis ball is dropped from rest at a height of 5m onto a hard floor.

--From that, I was able to determine that the final velocity is 9.9m/s.

The part I'm having trouble with is this: A flash photograph shows that the ball is compressed a maximum of 0.6cm when it strikes the floor. Assuming that the acceleration of the ball is constant during its contact with the floor, what force does the floor exert on the ball?

I really don't know what to do with this information...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by J.T.
The part I'm having trouble with is this: A flash photograph shows that the ball is compressed a maximum of 0.6cm when it strikes the floor. Assuming that the acceleration of the ball is constant during its contact with the floor, what force does the floor exert on the ball?

It means that the ball was brought to a stop in a distance of 0.6cm. Use your final velocity of the first part as the initial velocity of the second part (the final velocity of the second part is obviously zero).

You know:

*Initial Velocity
*Final Velocity
*Change In Displacement

You need:

*Acceleration

There is precicely one equation that relates all of those. Can you find it?

Thank you! I was finally able to solve it...

...And yet I run into another problem.

After I find the force it asks me, "what time does the force act in bringing the ball to rest?"

I realize I'm supposed to use one of the kinematic equations, so I've been plugging in numbers for a and x, etc. The thing is, all of my solutions are wrong... I'm guessing that I've been plugging in values that aren't supposed to be plugged in...?

Help please? Many thanks in advance!

You know the force now so you know the acceleration.

You know that the speed at time t is given by v(t)= v0+ at
(a is positive (up) here, v0= -9.9 m/s) and you are looking for the time until v(t)= 0: that is t= -v0/a.)

I keep getting the wrong answer...Grr. :frown:

Earlier, I determined that a=8167.5m/s^2 and f=5717.25N.
The online program I'm using told me that my answer was correct (for force), so I proceeded to solve for time.

No matter how many times I plug the numbers into the equation, I keep getting 0.0012s, which is wrong, according to this program.

Did I make a miscalculation somewhere?

My bad.

The program refused to take 0.0012s, but it took 0.00121s.
I guess I just needed to be a little more accurate...(--;)
I'm such an idiot.

Anyway, thank you for all the help!
Now I have an exam to look forward to on Friday :)

What is the dropped tennis ball problem?

The dropped tennis ball problem refers to the scenario where a tennis ball is dropped from a certain height onto a flat floor and the force exerted by the floor on the ball is calculated.

Why is it important to solve the dropped tennis ball problem?

It is important to solve this problem because it helps us understand the concept of force and how it is calculated in real-life situations. It also has practical applications in sports and engineering.

What factors affect the force of the floor on the dropped tennis ball?

The force of the floor on the dropped tennis ball is affected by the mass of the ball, the height from which it is dropped, and the elasticity of the ball and the floor.

How is the force of the floor calculated in the dropped tennis ball problem?

The force of the floor is calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the ball and the floor are both perfectly elastic.

What are some real-life applications of solving the dropped tennis ball problem?

Solving the dropped tennis ball problem has practical applications in sports, such as understanding the impact of a tennis ball hitting the ground in a game. It also has engineering applications in designing shock-absorbing materials and structures.