Which instrument would be a better tool for advanced physics courses?

In summary, The conversation is about buying a new calculator for a linear algebra course and seeking recommendations between the TI INSPIRE CX - CAS and the TI 89 TITANIUM. The recommendation is to get the cheapest high-end non-graphing calculator like the Sharp EL-516 or Casio fx-991ES for under $20, or to use free computer software such as wxMaxima or Octave for more advanced numerical computation. The TI INSPIRE CX - CAS is also recommended for its utility and simplicity.
cesaruelas
This question may be in the wrong section and quite irrelevant for many of you. Anyway, I need to buy a new calculator for my linear algebra course to deal with matrices and that stuff... which would you recommed I buy between the TI INSPIRE CX - CAS and the TI 89 TITANIUM? These are the ones my professor recommends but IDK which of these will be a better... investment for future courses (engineering physics) (they both cost the same in my country, around 200 us dollars) since I wouldn't want to buy one only for this course and then have to buy another one.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, get the cheapest one possible. Anything that requires computation in upper level courses does not require an advanced calculator.

Jorriss said:
In my experience, get the cheapest one possible. Anything that requires computation in upper level courses does not require an advanced calculator.

On top of this, it has been my experience that if a complex calculation or visualization of results is needed, then a computer package is often preferred in place of a handheld calculator device.

Calculators that are capable of symbolic calculation (integration, etc.) carry a hefty price premium. These days it doesn't make any sense to pay that premium unless you need to have those functions in a small portable package.

Really, just buy a high-end non-graphing calculator like the Sharp EL-516 or Casio fx-991ES for under $20.
http://edu.casio.com/products/ntd/fx991es/
http://www.sharpusa.com/forhome/homeoffice/calculators/elw516b.aspx

Both can do just about any non-symbolic task a calculator needs to do.

Anything they can't do, use wxMaxima (it is free).
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/download.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima_(software )
This will be sufficient to check your Linear Algebra homework.

Later, if you are doing serious numerical computation, you can use something like Octave (similar to Matlab).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with CAS CX. There seems to be a lot of stubborn "pencil and paper or matlab, no in between" on these forums.

I have a CAS CX, and it's main utility is just to check if I'm wrong, or to make a calculation without access to a computer easier. I'm not always in front of mathematica or matlab, so I need to use a calculator to check if an integral is correct. And the utility and simplicity of the input of the CAS CX is unrivaled.

I sold my 89 Titanium and bought the CAS CX when it came out... best purchase I've made as a physics student.

Related to Which instrument would be a better tool for advanced physics courses?

1. What is the difference between a spectrophotometer and a particle accelerator?

A spectrophotometer is an instrument used to measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths, while a particle accelerator is a machine that accelerates particles to high speeds for the purpose of studying their interactions. In advanced physics courses, both instruments can be useful for different experiments and purposes.

2. Which instrument is more commonly used in advanced physics research?

The answer to this question depends on the specific field of research and the type of experiments being conducted. Both spectrophotometers and particle accelerators are commonly used in advanced physics research, but their usage varies depending on the specific needs of the experiment.

3. Can a spectrophotometer be used for experiments involving particles?

While a spectrophotometer is primarily used for measuring light, it can also be used to measure the intensity of particles, such as photons. However, it may not be suitable for experiments that require the manipulation or acceleration of particles.

4. What are the cost differences between a spectrophotometer and a particle accelerator?

The cost of these instruments can vary greatly, with particle accelerators being significantly more expensive due to their complex and large-scale design. Spectrophotometers, on the other hand, can range from affordable to more expensive depending on their features and capabilities.

5. Are there any alternative instruments that can be used for advanced physics courses?

Yes, there are several other instruments that can be used for advanced physics courses, such as X-ray machines, electron microscopes, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometers. The choice of instrument will depend on the specific needs and objectives of the experiment.