Which has a greater Gravitational Energy?

In summary, when dropped from a height of 2m, object A would have a greater gravitational energy and a greater velocity impact than object B when dropped from a height of 1m. Both objects would store the same amount of energy if dropped onto a spring and would cause the spring to compress the same amount.
Hockey101
1. Imagine two objects, A and B, answer the questions that follow based on the conditions given.

A= 500g, at 2m, B=1.0kg, at 1m

a. Which has a greater Gravitational Energy? Why

b. If they are both dropped, which would have a greater velocity impact? Why?

c. If both are dropped onto a spring, which will store the greater energy?

d. Which will cause the spring to compress more?

2. Eg = mgh
3. a. A=(.5kg)(9.8 N/kg)(2m) = 9.8 J

B=(1kg)(9.8 N/kg)(1m) = 9.8 J

b. They would both have the same velocity because they both have the same amount of gravitational energy.

c. They will both store the same amount of energy.

d. Both springs would compress the same.

Hello everyone, I believe I did my calculations correct for part a, but I'm not positive about my answers on parts b, c, and d. Can someone tell me if I did this incorrectly? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hockey101 said:
1. Imagine two objects, A and B, answer the questions that follow based on the conditions given.

A= 500g, at 2m, B=1.0kg, at 1m

a. Which has a greater Gravitational Energy? Why

b. If they are both dropped, which would have a greater velocity impact? Why?

c. If both are dropped onto a spring, which will store the greater energy?

d. Which will cause the spring to compress more?

2. Eg = mgh

3. a. A=(.5kg)(9.8 N/kg)(2m) = 9.8 J

B=(1kg)(9.8 N/kg)(1m) = 9.8 J

b. They would both have the same velocity because they both have the same amount of gravitational energy.

c. They will both store the same amount of energy.

d. Both springs would compress the same.

Hello everyone, I believe I did my calculations correct for part a, but I'm not positive about my answers on parts b, c, and d. Can someone tell me if I did this incorrectly? Thanks!

Your answer to a., I assume, is that they both have the same gravitational energy. You should state that. c. and d. are correct.

Your answer to b. is not correct. They both have the same kinetic energy just before impact. What is the expression for KE? (hint: it is in terms of mass and velocity). Work out your answer for v from that.

AM

So what you're saying is to use Ek=1/2mV^2? I do not understand how I am supposed to solve for EK (Kinetic Energy). If I want to find Ek, then I am missing the velocity component in order to figure out Ek. If I'm solving for velocity, then I'm missing the Ek piece. So I do not understand.And how do you know that they have the same kinetic energy?

Hockey101 said:
So what you're saying is to use Ek=1/2mV^2? I do not understand how I am supposed to solve for EK (Kinetic Energy). If I want to find Ek, then I am missing the velocity component in order to figure out Ek. If I'm solving for velocity, then I'm missing the Ek piece. So I do not understand.And how do you know that they have the same kinetic energy?
Energy is conserved. There are only two forms of energy here: gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. What a body loses in gravitational potential energy it gains in kinetic energy. You can also think of gravity as doing work on the body so the work done (Force x distance = (mg) x h) must equal the change in kinetic energy. So if it starts with 0 velocity (0 KE), you can determine its kinetic energy by: -ΔPE = -mgΔh = ΔKE = .5mv2 - 0. You can work out the speed, v, from that.

AM

Last edited:
I still do not understand...If PE (Gravitational Energy) and KE are equal to each other, then that means KE will equal 9.8J. Considering that both objects have 9.8J as their gravitational energy, then if I plug 9.8 J into KE, both objects come out to be 4.4 m/s. What am I missing?

Well, if you look at the equations a little more closely, you'll notice something peculiar.

Say you are given two different masses at two different heights like you are in this situation. Without using any numbers, you can see why these two things will not be going the same speed.

So, the maximum kinetic energy for both of these objects at different heights is basically when the height is zero, because all of your energy will then be coming from the kinetic energy alone.

Setting up your equations for two different objects of two different masses, you'll get:

$$m_{1}gh_{1} = 1/2m_{1}v^2$$
$$m_{2}gh_{2} = 1/2m_{2}v^2$$

Without plugging in any numbers, you might notice that your masses in both cases just end up cancelling out. So, what does this tell you? It tells you that ending the velocity after falling a certain distance is completely independent of the mass of the object, and has EVERYTHING to do with the specific height.

So, in your case,
$$v_{1} = \sqrt{2gh_{1}}$$ and
$$v_{2} = \sqrt{2gh_{2}}$$

This makes sense from a real world standpoint. If you were to drop two balls from the same height, but they both had drastically different masses, they would hit the ground at the same time if air resistance is not taken into account. In your result, it would make no sense

So if I plug numbers into those equations, Object A would be 6.26 m/s and Object B would be 4.43 m/s...making Object A with the higher velocity?

Hockey101 said:
So if I plug numbers into those equations, Object A would be 6.26 m/s and Object B would be 4.43 m/s...making Object A with the higher velocity?
Yes.

Likes 1 person

Related to Which has a greater Gravitational Energy?

1) Which has a greater gravitational energy: the Earth or the Moon?

The Earth has a greater gravitational energy than the Moon. This is because the Earth is much larger and more massive than the Moon, so it has a stronger gravitational pull.

2) Does an object's distance from a planet affect its gravitational energy?

Yes, an object's distance from a planet does affect its gravitational energy. The closer an object is to a planet, the stronger the gravitational pull and therefore the greater the gravitational energy.

3) How does gravitational energy affect orbits?

Gravitational energy is what keeps objects in orbit around a planet or other celestial body. The balance between the object's centripetal force and the planet's gravitational force determines the shape and stability of its orbit.

4) Can gravitational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic energy. This is seen in objects falling towards the Earth, where their gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as they gain speed.

5) Is the gravitational energy of a planet constant?

No, the gravitational energy of a planet is not constant. It can change depending on factors such as the mass and distance of other objects in its vicinity, as well as the planet's rotational speed and shape.