Which field of physics has the best job prospects?

In summary: I'm not saying that you won't have success in a field like particle physics, but you'll need to work twice as hard and have a burning passion for it if you want to beat the average person.In summary, the best chance of finding employment after graduating with an Msc in physics is in either Meteorology, Materials and Nanophysics, Particle and Nuclear Physics, Electronics and Industrial Applications Physics, or Computational Physics. If you want to have a career in physics, it is best to study one of these fields. However, if you have a passion for another field, you can still have a successful career in physics by studying it and being outstanding in it.
Juhna89
Hey,

Which of the following branches of physics has the best chance to gain employment after graduating with Msc:

- Meteorology
- Materials and nanophysics
- Particle and nuclear physics
- Electronics and industrial applications physics
- Computational physics
- Aerosol and environmental physics

Also I am open for biophysics and medical physics if its possible to have an international career with this specialization, which I am little bit skeptical about. Since you do need to get license to practice as a medical physicist and every country has their own license.

Furthermore, other options would be theoretical physics, astronomy, space physics or geophysics.
However, I have narrowed it down to the branches mentioned in the beginning of the post. However, if one of the branches mentioned later has great job outlook, I am open for it.

I am mainly interested in knowing the global outlook for those outlooks and I am not interested in getting phd if I can avoid it. Furthermore, I am not really interested in academia, but I am open to it if need be.

As a background, I am about to graduate with Msc in mechanical engineering with thesis and I have bachelors of science in mechanical engineering as well. Meaning that I don't have bachelors in physics nor am I planning to get one, I already have a spot in physics department in one of the best universities in Finland for Msc and Bachelors combined, but my background allows me to skip getting the bachelors in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of these are interesting fields. Nevertheless, those professing to know which will do better than the others, probably does not know what they are talking about.

Employment, is actually an economic issue, not a technical one. If I were in your place, I might choose Electronics and Industrial application physics --but that's only because I have had good luck with similar endeavors. The materials and nano-physics option is also near and dear to my heart.Keep in mind, these are the choices I would make, approaching this from the perspective of someone who has practiced Engineering for 30 years. (And I intend to continue practicing until I get it right)

You should have your own notions of what feels right to you. Do not substitute my biases and old man attitude (so my kids tell me) for your aspirations.

Following on Jake's advice, I think it is much better to be an outstanding practitioner of an average field than a mediocre practitioner of a "hot" field. What I'm getting at is the fields are different enough that you will probably have different levels of natural ability and passion for them. In graduate school I fought my way through my signal processing courses but excelled at my courses in electronics and semiconductors. Even though, at the time, signal processing was much hotter, I think I made the right choice because times change. These days signal processing isn't as hot as it used to be and people have spent the last 10 years remembering that you can't send pure numbers over wire or over the air so you need some analog expertise even in the most "digital" of systems.

Likes JakeBrodskyPE

Related to Which field of physics has the best job prospects?

1. What is the most in-demand field of physics in terms of job prospects?

The most in-demand field of physics currently is computer science and engineering. With the rise of technology and the increasing need for computer-based systems in various industries, there is a high demand for physicists with a background in computer science and engineering.

2. Are there any specific industries that offer the best job prospects for physicists?

There are several industries that offer great job prospects for physicists, including aerospace and defense, energy and utilities, healthcare, and technology. These industries often require the expertise of physicists to develop and improve their products and services.

3. What skills are most sought after by employers in the field of physics?

Employers in the field of physics are looking for candidates with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in programming and data analysis. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are also highly valued in this field.

4. Is there a specific level of education required for physics job prospects?

While a bachelor's degree in physics can open up job opportunities, a master's or Ph.D. degree can greatly increase job prospects and potential for higher-paying positions. Many employers prefer candidates with advanced degrees due to the specialized knowledge and skills they possess.

5. How can I improve my job prospects in the field of physics?

To improve job prospects in the field of physics, it is important to gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or co-op programs. Networking and staying up-to-date with advancements in the field can also help in finding job opportunities and standing out among other candidates.