Which engineering branch should i choose ?

In summary, the conversation is about the person's interest in pursuing a degree in engineering, with a specialization in space technology. They are seeking advice on other branches of engineering besides aerospace and aeronautical, and the other person suggests mechanical, electrical, and mechatronics engineering. They also recommend checking the website of a company that specializes in satellite design for more information. The conversation concludes with the advice that space technology is an interdisciplinary field and the person should choose a branch based on their interests and opportunities available.
schumi1991`
Which engineering branch should i choose!?

Hi
i want to do undergraduate degree from India in engineering and post graduate course from america. Since i was small i was interested in space technology, so what are the branches (apart from aerospace and aero nautical ) in which i can further do specialization in space technology>>>>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

schumi1991` said:
Hi
i want to do undergraduate degree from India in engineering and post graduate course from america. Since i was small i was interested in space technology, so what are the branches (apart from aerospace and aero nautical ) ib which i can further do specialization in space technology>>>>

Why apart from aerospace and aeronatucal? Obviously these are the most relevant. Depending on the problem you want to work on, however, you can take other branches. There are mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and mechatronics areas of work available in 'space technology'. Engineers may work on things like satellite design and testing, have a look at the website for the company SELEX Galileo. They have a satellite output of around 2 per year to give you an idea of the scale of project. They also have some company profiles in the recruitment section so you can see what subjects other employees have graduated in.

fasterthanjoao said:
Why apart from aerospace and aeronatucal? Obviously these are the most relevant. Depending on the problem you want to work on, however, you can take other branches. There are mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and mechatronics areas of work available in 'space technology'. Engineers may work on things like satellite design and testing, have a look at the website for the company SELEX Galileo. They have a satellite output of around 2 per year to give you an idea of the scale of project. They also have some company profiles in the recruitment section so you can see what subjects other employees have graduated in.

I did got to their website but I'm afraid that it was of not much use !

The way these things work is that you pick a branch based on what you can get (if you're entering on the basis of engineering entrance exam rankings) and what your impression of your interests are. If physics is what interests you the most, electrical, mechanical and aerospace engineering will be interesting. Space technology is interdisciplinary, so you can't go wrong with either choice.

It's great to hear that you have a strong interest in space technology and are considering a career in engineering. There are several branches of engineering that could lead to a specialization in space technology. Some options to consider include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, and materials engineering.

Mechanical engineering would be a good choice if you are interested in designing and building spacecraft, as well as developing propulsion systems and other mechanical components.

Electrical engineering would be useful for designing and developing communication systems, power systems, and instrumentation for space missions.

Computer engineering would be beneficial for designing and programming the software and control systems for spacecraft.

Materials engineering would be important for developing new materials and technologies for use in space, such as lightweight and durable materials for spacecraft construction.

Ultimately, the best engineering branch for you will depend on your specific interests and goals within the field of space technology. I would recommend researching each of these engineering branches in more detail and considering which aligns best with your interests and strengths. You may also want to speak with professionals in each of these fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work and potential career paths.

It's also important to keep in mind that the field of space technology is constantly evolving, so it's possible that new engineering branches or specializations may emerge in the future. Staying up-to-date on industry developments and advancements can help guide your decision as well.

Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

Related to Which engineering branch should i choose ?

1. What are the different branches of engineering?

Some common branches of engineering include mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Other branches include aerospace, biomedical, environmental, and industrial engineering.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing an engineering branch?

When choosing an engineering branch, it is important to consider your interests, skills, job opportunities, salary potential, and job market demand. You should also research the different branches to see which aligns best with your goals and values.

3. How do I know which engineering branch is right for me?

One way to determine which engineering branch is right for you is to take personality and career assessments. These can help identify your strengths, interests, and values, and match them with potential engineering branches. You can also talk to professionals in different branches and attend career fairs to gain more insight.

4. What if I am interested in more than one engineering branch?

If you are interested in more than one engineering branch, you may want to consider a branch that offers a broader education, such as general engineering or engineering technology. Another option is to pursue a double major or minor in two related engineering branches.

5. How can I prepare for a career in engineering?

To prepare for a career in engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. You should also take courses in computer science, design, and problem-solving. Participating in internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities related to engineering can also help you gain practical skills and experience.