Which Edition of C++ Primer is Best for Particle Physicists?

In summary, C++ is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that was developed in the early 1980s. It is known for its efficiency, portability, and powerful features such as object-oriented programming. Some of its main features include efficient memory management, generic programming, and low-level control over hardware. It is different from other programming languages in its compiled nature and support for both procedural and object-oriented programming. C++ is commonly used for developing system and application software, as well as high-performance software. It is still relevant today with a large and active community and regular updates and improvements being made to the language.
welatiger
Hello
I'm asking for a textbook in C++ programming language for Particle Physicists

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good intro (I wish I could remember who borrowed my copy several years ago):

C++ Primer

Don't get anything earlier than the 4th edition. The 4th was a major improvement over the previous. I see there's a 5th edition coming next month, might be worth waiting for.

Related to Which Edition of C++ Primer is Best for Particle Physicists?

1. What is C++ programming language?

C++ is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that was developed in the early 1980s by Bjarne Stroustrup. It is an extension of the C programming language and is known for its efficiency, portability, and powerful features such as object-oriented programming.

2. What are the main features of C++?

C++ has many features, but some of the main ones include object-oriented programming, efficient memory management, generic programming, and low-level control over hardware. It also has a rich standard library and supports multiple programming paradigms.

3. How is C++ different from other programming languages?

C++ is different from other programming languages in several ways. It is a compiled language, meaning it is translated into machine code before execution. It also allows for low-level memory management, giving developers more control over memory usage. Additionally, its support for both procedural and object-oriented programming makes it a versatile language for a variety of applications.

4. What are the common uses of C++?

C++ is commonly used for developing system and application software, such as operating systems, desktop applications, games, and device drivers. It is also popular for developing high-performance software, such as scientific simulations and financial applications.

5. Is C++ still relevant today?

Yes, C++ is still widely used and relevant today. Many popular software and systems are built using C++, and it continues to be a popular language for developing high-performance and low-level applications. It also has a large and active community, with regular updates and improvements being made to the language.