Which comes first: Action/Adventure or Comedy?

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing which movie to watch first when given a comedy and an action/adventure movie. The speaker suggests watching the comedy first, as it is often difficult to find a good comedy and at least the action film will have explosions. Another solution is to watch both movies simultaneously on separate laptops. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding a good comedy and the concept of saving the best for last.

Action/Adventure or Comedy: Which do you watch first?

• Action/Adventure and then Comedy

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Comedy and then Action/Adventure

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I'd rather hang out at PhysicsForums than take this poll seriously

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Newai
So your boyfriend/girlfriend/terrorist abductor has brought home two movies tonight which you will watch back-to-back. One is a comedy and the other is an action or adventure movie. Which would you watch first?

It seems like when I was a kid, I went to the drive-in theater for double features. Usually there was a combination of these two genre, but I don't remember if there was a usual order. Does one before the other (regularly) make sense to you?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would watch the comedy first, because most things that try to pass themselves off as comedies suck. No matter how bad an action film is, at least there'll be an explosion or two to brighten my evening. I like to save the best for last.

I cannot imagine sitting through two movies in one night :eek:! Pure torture.

Comedy, I think. Scrap the action/adventure one.

Newai said:
So your boyfriend/girlfriend/terrorist abductor has brought home two movies tonight which you will watch back-to-back.

This gives me an idea, just take two laptops, and literally watch back-to-back, so no possibility of even regarding such a choice occurs at all.

radou said:
This gives me an idea, just take two laptops, and literally watch back-to-back, so no possibility of even regarding such a choice occurs at all.

There's a Heisenberg joke in there somewhere.

Danger said:
I would watch the comedy first, because most things that try to pass themselves off as comedies suck. No matter how bad an action film is, at least there'll be an explosion or two to brighten my evening. I like to save the best for last.
I agree with you to watch the better last. I also agree that comedy is a more difficult genre. But I would conclude differently. If the comedy is good, watch it afterwards. If the comedy is not good, or you expect it's not good, just don't watch it. If you don't know whether the comedy will be good, or have no expectation, well, tough luck !

Related to Which comes first: Action/Adventure or Comedy?

1. What is the purpose of determining which genre comes first?

Determining the order of genres can help with marketing and audience targeting. It can also impact the overall tone and pacing of the story.

2. Is there a definitive answer to which genre should come first?

No, there is no one correct answer. It ultimately depends on the specific story and how the combination of genres best serves the plot and characters.

3. How do you decide the order of genres in a story?

This decision is usually made by the writer or director based on their creative vision for the story. Factors such as the desired tone, themes, and audience can also play a role in the decision making process.

4. Can a story have equal parts Action/Adventure and Comedy?

Yes, a story can have a balance of both genres. In fact, many successful films and books have blended these genres together to create a unique and entertaining story.

5. Does the order of genres impact the success of a story?

Not necessarily. While the order can affect the overall tone and pacing of the story, the success of a story ultimately depends on the quality of the writing and execution of the plot and characters.