Which Choice Effectively Increases Tunneling Current?

• Thread starter tkm2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tunneling
In summary, using equations reduce the width of the potential energy barrier needed to tunnel a current through it.
tkm2002

Homework Statement

Suppose a tunneling current in an electronic device goes through a potential-energy barrier. The tunneling current is small because the width of the barrier is large and the barrier is high. To increase the current most effectively, what should you do?
a. Reduce the width of the barrier.
b. Reduce the height of the barrier.
c. Either choice (1) or choice (2) is equally effective.
d. Neither choice (1) nor choice (2) increases the current

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

should I use this equation?
T ≈ e^(-2CL) , L is he width of the barrier.
c^2 = 2m(U-E)/(h/2pi) , U is the height of the barrier ; E is the energy of electron ;m is the mass of electro; h is plank constant

I am not understand why the answer is a.

Physics news on Phys.org
tkm2002 said:
should I use this equation?
T ≈ e^(-2CL) , L is he width of the barrier.
c^2 = 2m(U-E)/(h/2pi) , U is the height of the barrier ; E is the energy of electron ;m is the mass of electro; h is plank constant

I am not understand why the answer is a.

Yes, use those equations. What happens if you cut 'U' in half? What happens if you cut 'L' in half?...So which has the greater effect?

gabbagabbahey said:
Yes, use those equations. What happens if you cut 'U' in half? What happens if you cut 'L' in half?...So which has the greater effect?

I do not know how to calculate and compare it

Call the initial U, [itex]U_0[/itex] and the initial L, [itex]L_0[/itex]...what does that make the initial transmission coefficient? What doe the transmission coefficient become when you plug in [itex]U=U_0/2[/itex] and [itex]L=L_0[/itex]? How about when you plug in [itex]U=U_0[/itex] and [itex]L=L_0/2[/itex]

gabbagabbahey said:
Call the initial U, [itex]U_0[/itex] and the initial L, [itex]L_0[/itex]...what does that make the initial transmission coefficient? What doe the transmission coefficient become when you plug in [itex]U=U_0/2[/itex] and [itex]L=L_0[/itex]? How about when you plug in [itex]U=U_0[/itex] and [itex]L=L_0/2[/itex]

But I do not how to compare them
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6779/89062472.jpg

[itex]T_0[/itex] = e^2CL
[itex]T of L_0/2[/itex] = [itex]T_0[/itex]^1/2
I do not how to write [itex]T of U_0/2[/itex] in terms of [itex]T_0[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the largest effect that the first one will have is to reduce the exponent by a factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] (when E=0)...While the second one reduces the exponent by a factor of 2...

P.S. You are missing the negative signs in your exponents!:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, the largest effect that the first one will have is to reduce the exponent by a factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] (when E=0)...While the second one reduces the exponent by a factor of 2...

P.S. You are missing the negative signs in your exponents!:wink:

I am not very understand.
Can you express the equation?

Related to Which Choice Effectively Increases Tunneling Current?

What is the tunneling effect?

The tunneling effect, also known as quantum tunneling, is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier that it classically should not be able to cross. This is a result of the wave-like nature of particles on a quantum level.

What are the applications of the tunneling effect?

The tunneling effect has many important applications in various fields of science and technology. It is used in scanning tunneling microscopy, which allows us to see individual atoms on a surface. It is also crucial in the operation of transistors and tunnel diodes in electronics, and in nuclear fusion reactions in physics.

What factors affect the probability of tunneling?

The probability of tunneling is affected by the thickness and height of the barrier, as well as the energy and mass of the particle. It also depends on the temperature and the material properties of the barrier, such as its density and atomic structure.

Can the tunneling effect be observed in everyday life?

The tunneling effect is not directly observable in everyday life due to the very small scale at which it occurs. However, its effects can be seen in certain devices, such as the scanning tunneling microscope, and in natural phenomena like radioactive decay.

Is the tunneling effect a violation of classical physics?

The tunneling effect is not a violation of classical physics, but rather a consequence of quantum mechanics. In classical physics, a particle would not have enough energy to pass through a potential barrier. However, in quantum mechanics, particles have a wave-like nature and can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for the possibility of tunneling through barriers.