Which Charge Do I Use for Calculating Capacitance?

In summary, the question is asking for the capacitance of a capacitor with 1500 C of charge on both of its plates and a potential difference of 300 V. To find the capacitance, the formula c=Q/V can be used. Since capacitance is always given as a positive value, the positive charge should be used in the calculation. It is important to understand the basics of capacitors and voltage to understand why this is the case.
wikidrox
I just need a hint on this.

2 plates of a capacitor hold +1500 C and -1500 C of charge, respectively, when the potential difference is 300 V. What is the capacitance?

I know I have to use c=Q/V, but which charge do I use the positive or negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you can't have a negative capacitance. Second of all, all capacitors will have both a negatively charged and positively charged side, I'm pretty sure, so you should notice since capacitance is always given positive, that you should give it as a positive value. I didn't really like Electronics, so I can't remember or care to get my textbook, but you can look this stuff up (possibly in your text) and figure out how capacitors work, what voltage is, etc, and that way you'll understand why it's positive.

You will need to use the absolute value of both charges, as the capacitance is a measure of the amount of charge stored on each plate. So in this case, the capacitance would be calculated using 1500 C as the charge value. Remember to also use the potential difference of 300 V in your calculation.

Related to Which Charge Do I Use for Calculating Capacitance?

1. What exactly is negative capacitance?

Negative capacitance refers to a phenomenon in which the capacitance of a material or system is reduced below its original value. This can occur when a material is subjected to a strong electric field, causing a decrease in the dielectric constant and therefore a decrease in capacitance.

2. How is negative capacitance different from positive capacitance?

Positive capacitance is the traditional form of capacitance where the capacitance increases as the voltage increases. Negative capacitance, on the other hand, occurs when the capacitance decreases with increasing voltage. This is due to the unique properties of certain materials that exhibit negative capacitance.

3. What are some applications of negative capacitance?

Negative capacitance has potential applications in various electronic devices, such as transistors and memory cells. It can also be used to improve the energy efficiency and performance of integrated circuits, as it allows for a significant reduction in power consumption.

4. How is negative capacitance measured?

Negative capacitance can be measured using various techniques, including impedance spectroscopy and capacitance-voltage measurements. These methods involve applying an electric field across the material and measuring the resulting changes in capacitance.

5. What are the challenges in utilizing negative capacitance in practical devices?

One of the main challenges in utilizing negative capacitance in practical devices is finding suitable materials that exhibit this phenomenon at room temperature. Another challenge is designing and fabricating devices that can effectively harness and utilize the negative capacitance effect. Additionally, there may be issues with stability and reliability of devices using negative capacitance, which need to be addressed for widespread implementation.