Which books do you advise with to study linear algebra ?

In summary, you should study Linear Algebra with either:-Linear Algebra with Applications by Gareth Williams-Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang-Apostol's Calculus
Maths Lover
which books do you advise with to study linear algebra ?

for beginners

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read a whole lot of it, but I like what I've read of Lang's Intro to Linear Algebra.

Howdy.

Personally learned a lot from Hoffman and Kunze' Linear Algebra. But it takes close reading, and is probably not great as a supplemental book to a course because it would require too much attention. Basically it might be more advanced than what you are looking for. Are you an engineering student or a math student who is a beginner at linear algebra?

Also, the top negative comment on Amazon is pretty fair in its criticism.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2B0SQEP6IXO9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2B0SQEP6IXO9M&tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My class is using "Linear Algebra with Applications" by Gareth Williams, 8ed. It reads pretty easily, but at around $200 you might be better off with earlier editions.

The author outlines the changes made between this edition and the 7th in the preface:
This edition is a refinement of the Seventh Edition. Certain sections have been rewritten, others added, and new exercises have been included. The aim has been to improve the clarity, flow, and selection of material ...

i have two linear algebra books
one is basic computation, more geared towards engineers since its also a differential equations book
its differential equations and linear algebra by stephen w. goode and scott a. annin
not much of a fan of the book, but for what its aimed for i'd say it does a fairly good job, and could definitely be used as an intro book

the other one is linear algebra by friedberg, insel, and spence second edition
more on the pure mathematics side with some cool applications to economics and special relativity. i found the second edition for 5 bucks online but the newest edition is the 4th edition. its definitely not an intro book to the subject, but i don't think its too difficult to learn the subject from it either, look for the second edition if you'd like. the first book also seems to refer readers to this book a lot for some of the more advanced proofs.

a lot of people also seem to like axlers book, linear algebra done right, you can check out a chapter or two on axlers, one of the chapters you can preview for free is on inner product spaces, not sure if this is considered an intro book however

I highly recommend Intro To Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang. The book is mostly focused on application and using Linear Algebra as a workhorse. It forces you to think more on the geometric level and form a better understanding about where these ideas may come from.

If you want a book settled in high rigor with strict proofs and abstract, this is probably not the book for you, but if you want a book that is challenging for a beginner, well thought out, and shows you the power behind linear algebra, then I recommend this book.

I also like what I've read of Friedberg. My class is using Hubbard & Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms. It is a great book, but I kind of feel like they present linear algebra subjects in an odd order...
Apostol's Calculus also contains a lot of linear algebra, which I think is a good supplement to a course. If I'm not mistaken, that is what Caltech uses for their linear algebra course. Someone published the linear algebra material from Apostol's calculus as a standalone text, as well.

Related to Which books do you advise with to study linear algebra ?

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important to study?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as computer graphics, machine learning, and physics. Understanding linear algebra is essential for solving complex mathematical problems and developing efficient algorithms.

2. What are some good books to learn linear algebra?

Some recommended books for learning linear algebra include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. It is best to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and has clear explanations and examples.

3. Is there a specific order in which to study linear algebra topics?

It is generally recommended to start with the basics of linear algebra, such as vectors, matrices, and systems of linear equations. Then, move on to more advanced topics like eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, and linear transformations. It is also important to practice solving problems and applying the concepts learned.

4. Can I learn linear algebra on my own or do I need a teacher?

You can certainly learn linear algebra on your own with the help of books, online resources, and practice problems. However, having a teacher or tutor can be beneficial in clarifying any confusion and providing personalized guidance. It is important to have a solid understanding of the basics before moving on to more complex topics.

5. How long does it take to learn linear algebra?

The amount of time it takes to learn linear algebra depends on the individual's learning pace and dedication. With consistent practice and a good understanding of the basics, one can learn the fundamentals of linear algebra in a few months. However, mastering the subject and its applications may take longer.