Which book best talks about the Born rule and its usage?

In summary: Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of an observer. Countries like to keep it to themselves because it is very technical and it can be used for weapons development.
thaiqi
Hello, everyone. I cannot visit wiki. Can anyone tell me which books best talk about Born rule and its usage?

Physics news on Phys.org
thaiqi said:
Hello, everyone. I cannot visit wiki. Can anyone tell me which books best talk about Born rule and its usage?
The quantum mechanics books.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
martinbn said:
The quantum mechanics books.
Thanks. I found two: Laloe's and Norsen's.
The other two maybe of help: Neumaier's and Nelson Bolivar's.
Also, Matteo Paris's article maybe is of help (The modern tools of quantum mechanics).

Last edited:
Can anyone copy the wiki of Born_rule here for me? I can't visit wiki.
Thanks.

thaiqi said:
Can anyone copy the wiki of Born_rule here for me? I can't visit wiki.
Thanks.
Why can't you visit wiki?

Likes atyy
vanhees71 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Wikipedia

I guess, it's ok with the copyright rules to post Wikipedia articles (see the pdfs in the attachment).
It says
...Others are indicative of measures to prevent the viewing of specific content deemed offensive...
Does anyone find the Born rule offensive? If it was the article about collapse, I would have susspected that you are behind all this censorship.

Now thinking of it, what is it like to try to read on wiki about cosmic censorship and the page is censored.

• Wow
Likes atyy
martinbn said:
Does anyone find the Born rule offensive?
I don't, especially because of

:oldbiggrin:

If you want to learn how to do quantum mechanical calculations the standard advice would be to use an introductory book on quantum mechanics like Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" (you can do a forum search to find more introductory books). You'll need at least some knowledge in linear algebra and calculus in order to understand it.

martinbn said:
It says

Does anyone find the Born rule offensive? If it was the article about collapse, I would have susspected that you are behind all this censorship.

Now thinking of it, what is it like to try to read on wiki about cosmic censorship and the page is censored.
I don't think that countries bother about quantum mechanics and Born's rule (that was an issue in Russia bringing Landau in trouble; you can even find interesting arguments about some "important philosophical issues" in Russian textbooks like Blokhintsev's appendix).

Related to Which book best talks about the Born rule and its usage?

1. What is the Born rule?

The Born rule is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the wave function of a quantum system to the probability of finding the system in a particular state. It was first proposed by physicist Max Born in 1926.

2. How is the Born rule used in quantum mechanics?

The Born rule is used to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain measurement outcome for a quantum system. It is a key tool in predicting and understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Which book is considered the best resource for learning about the Born rule?

One of the most highly recommended books on the Born rule and its usage is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. Other popular books include "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Born rule?

Yes, the Born rule has many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum information theory. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum communication devices.

5. Is the Born rule universally accepted by scientists?

Yes, the Born rule is widely accepted as a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. However, there are ongoing debates and discussions about its interpretation and implications for the nature of reality.