Which Atom Releases the Most Energy Gaining an Electron?

In summary, the most electronegative atom is Li and it gains an electron to become 2p4. This would release the most energy.
leena19

Homework Statement

under the same conditions which one of the following atoms will liberate the largest amount of energy when it gains an electron?
1.Na(g) 2.Ar(g) 3.Li(g) 4.N(g) 5.Mg(g)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told the answer's N 'cos it's the most electronegative atom out of the choices given but when we consider the electronic configurations of the above atoms Na & Li seems to attain a stable octet by gaining an electron so it would release a lot more energy than N which by gaining an electron becomes 2p4 which is far less stable than 2p3.

so I think its between Li & Na and since Li has a smaller covalent radius it would probably attract the electron more and so release more energy,am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Na, Li, attain stable octets by losing an electron, Mg by losing two.

I'm sorry but I don't get it .
Alkaline metals like Na and Li usually attain stable octets by losin an electron but, they may also attain stable octets by gaining an electron,no?

I got down the electron affinity values from http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/chemical/eleaff.html"
but now I'm even more confused,

The EA values show that EA of Li > Na>N , also that group 2 and 8A elements don't form anions so the answer has to be Li. But,
what I don't understand is how these values are determined?
n why does N have an EAof 0 and the other group 5A elements have Electron Affinities which increase downwards ,
while in other groups, there seems to be a gradual decrease in EA values down their respective groups except, ofcourse, the irregularity seen between O , S in group 5 and F , Cl in group7,also which unsurprisingly I don't understand?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Which Atom Releases the Most Energy Gaining an Electron?

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the measure of the energy released when an atom or molecule gains an electron to form a negative ion.

2. How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of energy, typically in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV).

3. What factors affect electron affinity?

The size and charge of an atom, as well as its position on the periodic table, can affect its electron affinity. Additionally, electron affinity tends to increase as you move from left to right across a period on the periodic table.

4. What is the trend for electron affinity on the periodic table?

Generally, electron affinity increases as you move from left to right across a period on the periodic table, and decreases as you move down a group. This is because atoms on the left side of the periodic table have less energy available to attract electrons, while atoms on the right side have more energy available.

5. How does electron affinity relate to electronegativity?

Electron affinity and electronegativity are related, but not the same thing. Electronegativity is a measure of how strongly an atom can attract electrons in a chemical bond, while electron affinity is a measure of how much energy is released when an atom gains an electron. In general, elements with higher electronegativity tend to have higher electron affinity.