Which astrophysical journal is the best?

• Thread starter yu_wing_sin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding the best astrophysical journal for publishing articles. The speaker mentions that there are several international journals available, but some may require a charge for publishing. When asked for recommendations, the speaker explains that there is often a tradeoff between a journal's selectivity and turnaround time for submissions. They suggest starting with Arxiv for those looking to get published. However, the speaker notes that some journals on Arxiv may require introducers and the General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology journal may be suitable for the speaker's paper but they are unable to contribute due to it being on Arxiv. The speaker also mentions that their paper is currently being reviewed by two other journals, but it has been
yu_wing_sin
Which astrophysical journal is the best?

I don't find many choices. Only there are several similar international journals...
Some even need charge for publishing.

Do you have any recommendation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Best for subscribing? Or best for article submission? For the latter, keep in mind that as a general tendency there is a tradeoff between the selectivity of a journal and its turnaround time for a submitted article.

I'd suggest starting with Arxiv if you are looking for a start in getting 'published'.

Chronos said:
I'd suggest starting with Arxiv if you are looking for a start in getting 'published'.

To publish papers in the Arxiv those journals need introducers. The General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology journal maybe is suitable for my paper, but I can't find any way to contribute to the journal. This is also because the problem----This journal is Arxiv's.

Now my paper is still refereeing by International journal of theoretical journal and the Reports on progress in physics, the two journals seem not suitable for my paper, I can't sure that whether my paper can be accepted. They have reviewed my paper 2-3 monthes, still there is no decision.

Last edited:

Related to Which astrophysical journal is the best?

1. What factors should I consider when determining the best astrophysical journal?

The best astrophysical journal will vary for each researcher and their specific needs. However, some factors to consider may include the journal's impact factor, the reputation and prestige of the journal, the scope and coverage of the journal, and the speed of publication.

2. How do I know if a journal is reputable and trustworthy?

One way to determine the reputation of an astrophysical journal is to look at its impact factor, which measures the average number of citations received per article. Additionally, you can also look at the journal's editorial board, its affiliations with reputable institutions, and its history of publishing high-quality research.

3. Is it better to publish in a high-impact journal or a specialized journal?

It ultimately depends on your research and goals. Publishing in a high-impact journal can increase the visibility and reach of your work, but publishing in a specialized journal may be more beneficial for specific fields or subfields within astrophysics. Consider the audience and impact you hope to have when deciding between the two options.

4. How important is the speed of publication in choosing a journal?

The speed of publication can be important, especially if your research is time-sensitive. However, it should not be the only factor to consider. It is important to balance the speed of publication with the reputation and quality of the journal to ensure your work is reaching the right audience and having the desired impact.

5. Can I publish in multiple astrophysical journals?

Yes, it is possible to publish the same research in multiple journals. However, it is important to check the publication policies of each journal to ensure they allow for this. Additionally, it is important to consider any potential conflicts of interest or ethical considerations when publishing the same work in multiple journals.