Which Animal Would Sustain More Injury from a Fall: Turtle or Beetle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the injury sustained by a turtle and beetle when falling from the same height. It is assumed that both creatures are geometrically similar and the amount of force they reach the ground with is the measured parameter. The equation F=ma is mentioned to determine the amount of injury based on mass alone. However, if the creatures have reached their terminal velocity before hitting the ground, the equation becomes F=m(0)=0 and the injury occurs when they hit the ground and decelerate. The speaker is unsure how to calculate deceleration for turtles and beetles and if they are equally prone to injury based on their biology. Terminal velocity is also mentioned to be given by Stokes Law. The speaker believes that the beetle may
ca2n
If a turtle and beetle fall from the same height, which would sustain more injury? Assume that both the turtle and beetle are geometrically similar. The amount of force of which the creatures reach the ground would be the measured parameter, right? So, including air resistance in the equation, how would one determine how much force the creatures reach the ground? F = ma, i.e. the amount of injury would depend on the creatures' mass alone (assuming that biological issues are neglected)? What if the creatures have reached their terminal velocity before reaching the ground, i.e. they are not accelerated; F = m(0) = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
The injury comes when they hit the ground. At that point they will decelerate, and the amount of deceleration indicates the amount of force the ground exerts on them. I don't know how to calculate the deceleration for turtles or beetles. I also don't know if a turtle and beetle are by their biology equally injurable. Terminal velocity is given approximately by Stokes Law.

Not quite sure how to explain why I think beetle is safer. It seems the beetle's innards are held in place better, and wouldn't move very much relative to the rest of the beetle. For heavier animals, there is a lot more relative movement and deformation of organs.

At least it seems that way to me.

Related to Which Animal Would Sustain More Injury from a Fall: Turtle or Beetle?

1. What factors can contribute to injuries when two animals fall?

The most common factors that can contribute to injuries when two animals fall include the height of the fall, the surface they land on, their body size and weight, and their natural abilities to absorb impact.

2. Can animals survive a fall from a great height?

Yes, some animals have natural adaptations that allow them to survive falls from great heights. For example, cats have a flexible spine and the ability to twist their bodies mid-air, which helps them to land safely.

3. Do all animals sustain the same types of injuries when falling?

No, different animals may sustain different types of injuries when falling depending on their body structure and natural abilities to absorb impact. For example, birds have hollow bones that can help them to reduce the impact of a fall.

4. Can falling from a height cause long-term damage to an animal?

Yes, falling from a height can cause long-term damage to an animal's body, such as broken bones, internal organ damage, and joint injuries. In severe cases, it can even lead to paralysis or death.

5. How can we prevent or minimize injuries when animals fall?

To prevent or minimize injuries when animals fall, it is essential to provide them with a safe and secure environment with appropriate barriers and cushioning. It is also important to handle animals carefully and to seek immediate veterinary care if an animal falls and shows signs of injury.