Where to study for UG Physics? (from India)

In summary, the speaker is a high school student in India who is interested in pursuing research in physics. They do not believe that studying BSc Physics in India is a good choice and are considering studying abroad. They are seeking recommendations for universities and colleges that offer strong physics programs and research opportunities. The speaker mentions IIT's, IISc, CMI, and IISER's as some options in India and also asks about the level of research exposure available at these institutions compared to studying abroad. They have received helpful responses and are considering the options seriously.
S Shri Hari
Hello to everyone out there!
Let me explain my situation. I am currently studying in India, with my Final year of high-school left to complete. I have been interested in Physics since Glade 7, fascinated with phenomenons like Quantum tunneling and Entanglemnet(thanks to Science Fiction for that :-p). Now I have decided to get myself involved in research in Physics in future.
My problem: I personally don't believe that doing BSc Physics in India is a good choice(You can comment about that too; open for suggestions). So I am planning to go overseas for this. But I can't figure out clearly how to select the university/college for my studies. So can you help me in deciding about that?Is there any colleges you recommend? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
S Shri Hari said:
I personally don't believe that doing BSc Physics in India is a good choice(You can comment about that too; open for suggestions). So I am planning to go overseas for this.
one should not underestimate the 'physics studies in India'- in the sense that there are good IIT's offering physics courses and some leading universities - but as you opted for overseas then try for the leading ones-internationally.

While I am still a school student, IISc (Indian Institute of Sciences) offers a pretty renowned research-oriented UG course (which should help in an academic career). CMI and IISER's also have UG courses in physics (CMI has a joint physics-mathematics UG course). Apart from the IIT's mentioned above, these are some options in India.

Also note that amongst IITs, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras have strong and reputed physics departments. CMI, IISc and IISERs, as mentioned above, are very good options to pursue UG in physics.

Thanks to all here for the reply :-).
I used to hear that while studying abroad, the students get quite a lot of research experience, the institutes hosting quite a lot of research experiments and the people in it being in close contact or are involved in the scientific community. Do we get that same level of exposure here?

The degree at IISc is called Bachelor of Science (Research) :wink:. Here is the university page on the course - http://www.iisc.ernet.in/ug/about.html

S Shri Hari said:
Thanks to all here for the reply :-).
I used to hear that while studying abroad, the students get quite a lot of research experience, the institutes hosting quite a lot of research experiments and the people in it being in close contact or are involved in the scientific community. Do we get that same level of exposure here?
From my personal experience (as a graduate student) I think that the research environment of the Universities and Institutes mentioned above provide the "same level of exposure" as that of universities abroad, at least in theoretical physics. In some sense you might even acquire an edge by doing BS from India. So consider these options seriously by going through their program site and talking to the students and scientists there.

Related to Where to study for UG Physics? (from India)

1. Where are the top universities to study UG Physics in India?

The top universities in India for UG Physics are Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), University of Delhi, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR).

2. What are the eligibility criteria to study UG Physics in India?

The eligibility criteria to study UG Physics in India may vary from university to university, but generally, you need to have completed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects. Some universities may also require a minimum percentage in these subjects.

3. What are the career opportunities after studying UG Physics in India?

After studying UG Physics in India, you can pursue a career in research, teaching, or industry. You can also opt for higher studies in the field of physics or related fields like astronomy, engineering, or computer science.

4. Are there any entrance exams for UG Physics in India?

Yes, there are entrance exams for UG Physics in India, such as Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), National Entrance Screening Test (NEST), and Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Aptitude Test (IISER Aptitude Test). These exams may vary from university to university.

5. What are the fees for studying UG Physics in India?

The fees for studying UG Physics in India may vary depending on the university and the course. Generally, the fees range from 1-2 lakhs per year for government universities, while private universities may have higher fees. However, scholarships and financial aid options are available for eligible students.