Where to start physics instruction?

In summary, the speaker is currently schooling themselves online due to unfortunate circumstances. They are a senior in high school and intend to graduate before April. They are currently finishing up calculus and considering studying multivariable calculus and linear algebra simultaneously. They are unsure if this is the right path for them. They also want to make sure they have a solid understanding of the mathematics required for quantum mechanics/field theory and general/special relativity, which they believe includes partial differential equations. They are struggling to find a satisfactory introduction to physics textbook and are currently using R. Shankar's Open Yale Physics lectures. They plan to take the AP physics tests in May and are more focused on developing a deep understanding of the material rather than just passing exams. They have
Ethan Singer
Due to a myriad of unfortunate circumstances, I'm now schooling myself online. I'm currently a Senior in high school, and I intend to graduate before April. So here I am just finishing up calculus, and having just realized that I can study both multivariable calc/Linear algebra at the same time, I'm left wondering whether or not I'm going down the right path...

From my understanding, the level of mathematics required for Quantum Mechanics/Field theory and General/Special relativity goes up to Partial Differential equations.

So I just want to make sure I'm familiar with the proper mathematics pathway: Calc -> Multivariable/Linear Algebra -> Complex Analysis/Fourier Series -> Differential Equations -> Partial Differential Equations -> Lifelong happiness? (Haha)

And to be completely honest, though I have been teaching myself advanced mathematics, I've yet to find a satisfactory Introduction to physics textbook. As of this moment, I'm currently covering R. Shankar's Open Yale Physics lectures

(Book links: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300192207/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300212364/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

However, unlike my mathematics curriculum, which makes it's axioms,proofs, and processes clear, this series seems very ambiguous. When I take the questions provided on the Open Yale course, they seem unrelated to the respective lecture, and when I try and look up alternative sources, they're not comprehensive enough.

My initial plan was to finish calculus before starting any form of physics, thinking it would give me an advantage, however now I'm going ahead with my mathematics instruction, and I've yet to find a decent start in physics.

I intend to take the AP physics tests in May, and provided I can find a decent curriculum, I should be fine. My overall goal isn't to merely pass the exams, but rather to develop a firm understanding of the material.

And regarding the mathematics instruction, I've purchased all the necessary books. If I'm correct, I could very well be set until graduate level maths. Given my study habits allowed me to learn calc within 3 months, My naive estimate is that I could very well understand Diff eqs before september if I'm dedicated enough. However it's difficult to find any comprehensive course outside of university itself for anything outside of mathematics.

So what should I do? Where can I find a comprehensive curriculum? Is my understanding of the maths required correct? If possible, I want to study quantum field theory before I graduate university.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan Singer said:
Due to a myriad of unfortunate circumstances, I'm now schooling myself online. I'm currently a Senior in high school, and I intend to graduate before April. So here I am just finishing up calculus, and having just realized that I can study both multivariable calc/Linear algebra at the same time, I'm left wondering whether or not I'm going down the right path...

After single variable calculus that is the right course to continue on.

From my understanding, the level of mathematics required for Quantum Mechanics/Field theory and General/Special relativity goes up to Partial Differential equations.

That would not be correct in general.

So I just want to make sure I'm familiar with the proper mathematics pathway: Calc -> Multivariable/Linear Algebra -> Complex Analysis/Fourier Series -> Differential Equations -> Partial Differential Equations -> Lifelong happiness? (Haha)

I would do ODE/PDE before complex, but that's not a hard and fast requirement. You probabaly won't get there before starting university courses in which you should focus most of your energy. [You should also be doing this in high school, but I'm assuming you already are.]

And to be completely honest, though I have been teaching myself advanced mathematics, I've yet to find a satisfactory Introduction to physics textbook. As of this moment, I'm currently covering R. Shankar's Open Yale Physics lectures

(Book links: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300192207/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300212364/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

Physics H&R 4th/5th edition volume 1, or K&K introduction to mechanics.

However, unlike my mathematics curriculum, which makes it's axioms,proofs, and processes clear, this series seems very ambiguous. When I take the questions provided on the Open Yale course, they seem unrelated to the respective lecture, and when I try and look up alternative sources, they're not comprehensive enough.

I have no experience with these videos, I would just read the textbook, think, and practice.

My initial plan was to finish calculus before starting any form of physics, thinking it would give me an advantage, however now I'm going ahead with my mathematics instruction, and I've yet to find a decent start in physics.

I intend to take the AP physics tests in May, and provided I can find a decent curriculum, I should be fine. My overall goal isn't to merely pass the exams, but rather to develop a firm understanding of the material.

And regarding the mathematics instruction, I've purchased all the necessary books. If I'm correct, I could very well be set until graduate level maths. Given my study habits allowed me to learn calc within 3 months, My naive estimate is that I could very well understand Diff eqs before september if I'm dedicated enough. However it's difficult to find any comprehensive course outside of university itself for anything outside of mathematics.

So what should I do? Where can I find a comprehensive curriculum? Is my understanding of the maths required correct? If possible, I want to study quantum field theory before I graduate university.

You won't be ready for graduate level math after finishing CA/PDE/ODE whatever. You would need to study things like number theory, anaylisis, group theory, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Where to start physics instruction?

1. What is the best age to start teaching physics?

The best age to start teaching physics can vary depending on the individual child, but generally it is recommended to start introducing basic physics concepts around the age of 8-10. By this age, children have developed the necessary math and critical thinking skills to understand basic physics principles.

2. What are the key concepts that should be covered at the beginning of physics instruction?

Some key concepts that should be covered at the beginning of physics instruction include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These are fundamental concepts that lay the foundation for understanding more advanced physics topics.

3. Should physics be taught in a theoretical or practical manner?

Ideally, physics should be taught in a combination of both theoretical and practical ways. While it is important to understand the underlying theories and equations, it is also crucial to apply them in practical situations to better understand their relevance and real-world applications.

4. How can I make physics more engaging for students?

There are many ways to make physics more engaging for students, such as incorporating hands-on experiments, demonstrations, and real-world examples. It is also helpful to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills by presenting students with challenging physics problems to solve.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to understand physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly be helpful in understanding physics, it is not a requirement. Many basic physics concepts can be understood without advanced math knowledge. However, as students progress to more advanced physics topics, a strong understanding of math becomes increasingly important.