Where to go for an exchange? Physics Major

In summary, the student is interested in doing an exchange at a European university and would like to know if anyone has personal experience with the universities. The student prefers universities with more math courses in English than physics, and is interested in taking graduate courses.
Ashuron
Hi all,

My university has an exchange program, and I am thinking to apply for it

Some of the notable choices (in Europe) are:
-ETH Zurich
-EPFLausanne
-TU Munich
-TU Darmstadt
-U Stuttgart
-Utrecht
-KTH
-Chalmers

I am a Physics Major (undergraduate) and do not speak any European language besides English..
I am interested to do the exchange in my final year..

want to know if anyone has a personal experience with these universities..?
I prefer those universities that allow me to do a research project under supervision..
also how are they in terms of workload, living expense, environment?

Langauge is also a problem..seems those universities have more Math courses in English than Physics, which is fine for me actually..
I am also thinking to take graduate courses..those are usually in English

Any information is helpful..

Physics news on Phys.org
any experience with european education will be useful..
say, will the undergraduates has research opportunities like UROP?

I actually study at Chalmers, so I might have something to say about that. The situation at KTH is quite similar, though the rent is likely more expensive. I believe both (it's certainly true for Chalmers) universities insist on Swedish in the undergraduate part of the education (i.e. the first three years, then there's a two year master program). However, both places offer engineering physics programs rather than pure physics programs, so maybe you will have met some or all of the prerequisites for the master courses in the final year of your undergraduate. This would be beneficent as the master courses are all taught in English.

Student research is mainly conducted as closing projects of the bachelor and master programs. These are supervised and result in full theses. Apart from that it is sometimes possible to join in research projects (particularly the laboratory ones), but it isn't too common and certainly isn't as organized as UROP seems to be.

The academic year is divided in quarters and one is expected to get 15 credits per quarter. In most cases this translates to two courses and one can do quite well at 50h/week, though the hours obviously depends on the person and the choice of courses. See http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp for comparisons of living costs between the countries.

A friend of mine went on an exchange to Utrecht, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think she's even thinking of going back for a Masters program. Granted, it wasn't Physics (Women's Studies actually :smile:), but in general Utrecht seems to have a good reputation. The city itself from what I hear is also awesome, and given that it's in Netherlands, this is to be expected anyway :smile:

I guess if you're going for a name in Physics, Zürich and München would be the way to go, but I'm not sure whether that should be your main concern if you're just going there as part of an exchange. Exchanges are usually there for people to have fun. Sure, you take classes and all, but the general atmosphere is more relaxed, especially if the classes have different weightings or credit as they would back home. Personally, if your aim is to be hardcore, don't go on an exchange, and be hardcore at your home university. I doubt you can gain that much from those short couple of months, and in that case I think it's better to have a continuity of education back home.

Hypersphere, Thanks a lot for your help..
Engineering physics courses should be OK for me..
The possibility of research is certainly a plus

Thanks Ryker..
It's quite hard to find infos on Utrecth..
The thing is I am planning to do this exchange in my final year...
This is an opportunity for me to take some graduate courses and get acquainted with the professors there..for the purpose of graduate schools applications..

Related to Where to go for an exchange? Physics Major

1. Where can I find information about exchange programs for physics majors?

The best place to start is by checking with your university's study abroad office. They will have a list of approved exchange programs specifically for physics majors. You can also search online for programs offered by other universities or organizations.

2. What should I consider when choosing an exchange program for physics majors?

Some important factors to consider include the courses offered at the host university, the language of instruction, the location and culture of the host country, and the duration of the program. It's also important to make sure the program is accredited and will transfer credit back to your home university.

3. Are there specific countries or universities that are best for physics majors to study abroad?

There is no one "best" country or university for physics majors to study abroad. It ultimately depends on your individual interests and goals. However, some popular destinations for physics majors include countries with strong scientific research programs such as Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom.

4. Can I receive financial aid or scholarships for an exchange program as a physics major?

Yes, there are often scholarships and grants available specifically for students studying abroad in the STEM fields, including physics. You can check with your study abroad office or search online for funding opportunities. It's also a good idea to speak with your financial aid office to see if your current aid package can be applied to your exchange program.

5. Will studying abroad as a physics major delay my graduation?

It depends on the program you choose and how well you plan ahead. Some exchange programs offer courses that directly fulfill your major requirements, making it possible to graduate on time. However, if you choose a program with different course offerings, it may delay your graduation by a semester or two. It's important to work closely with your academic advisor to ensure you stay on track for graduation.