Where the Angular Velocity Vector Coming From?

In summary: The equation states that the velocity vector is perpendicular to the plane containing the rotation axis and the origin of the coordinate system.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I know that If we have a rigid body rotating clokwise direction,the angular velocity vector should be in the into the screen.But also I know that

##w=dθ/dt## so..Whats the equation that tells us that ##\vec w## is into the screen ?

Is it coming from some vector product ? Or we know that its ##\vec R x\vec v=\vec w##

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I know that If we have a rigid body rotating clokwise direction,the angular velocity vector should be in the into the screen.But also I know that

##w=dθ/dt## so..Whats the equation that tells us that ##\vec w## is into the screen ?
I thought ##\vec R x \vec {Δθ}=\vec w## (##\vec R## is in the upward direction).But sounds wrong...

The direction of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is the axis of rotation. If [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is the velocity of a point on the body, and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector to the center of rotation, then you can compute [itex]\omega[/itex] via:

[itex]\vec{\omega} = \frac{1}{r^2} (\vec{v} \times \vec{r})[/itex]

So it's a vector that is perpendicular to the plane containing both [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex].

stevendaryl said:
The direction of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is the axis of rotation. If [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is the velocity of a point on the body, and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector to the center of rotation, then you can compute [itex]\omega[/itex] via:

[itex]\vec{\omega} = \frac{1}{r^2} (\vec{v} \times \vec{r})[/itex]

So it's a vector that is perpendicular to the plane containing both [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex].

why there's ##\frac {1} {r^2}## ?

I see...Is there any equation that contains ##\vec w##, ##dθ## and ##dt## ?

Arman777 said:
why there's ##\frac {1} {r^2}## ?

I see...Is there any equation that contains ##vec w##, ##dθ## and ##dt## ?

Well, the [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex] is intuitively correct from the following reasoning: If you have circular motion, then [itex]v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T}[/itex] where [itex]T[/itex] is the time for a complete circle. So the magnitude of [itex]\vec{v} \times \vec{r}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{2 \pi r^2}{T}[/itex]. Dividing by [itex]r^2[/itex] gives [itex]\frac{2\pi}{T}[/itex] which is the same as [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex].

So the magnitude of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is just [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex]

You can't get the direction of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] from [itex]d\theta[/itex] and [itex]dt[/itex]. You need to know what plane the rotation is in.

Likes Arman777
I understand now.We know that ##\vec w x \vec R= \vec v##
so ##(\vec w x \vec R) x \vec R= \vec v x \vec R##

Which its ##\vec w (\vec R.\vec R)-\vec R (\vec w.\vec R)=\vec v x \vec R##
##\vec w R^2-0=\vec v x \vec R##
##\vec w=\frac {1} {r^2} (\vec v x \vec R)##

I just should know that ##\vec w## is founding by right hand rule and ##\vec w x \vec R= \vec v##

stevendaryl said:
You can't get the direction of ⃗ωω→\vec{\omega} from dθdθd\theta and dtdtdt. You need to know what plane the rotation is in.

I see ok

Arman777 said:

This 1D equation is a simplification of the 3D description. In making this simplification θ is defined about an axis with a direction, so the direction is already implicitly in there.

Likes Arman777

Related to Where the Angular Velocity Vector Coming From?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's linear position with respect to time, while angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular position with respect to time. Angular velocity is expressed in units of radians per second, while linear velocity is expressed in units of meters per second.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related by the equation: angular acceleration = change in angular velocity / change in time. This means that angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time.

4. Where does the angular velocity vector come from?

The angular velocity vector comes from the cross product of the position vector and the linear velocity vector. This means that the direction of the angular velocity vector is perpendicular to both the position vector and the linear velocity vector.

5. How is angular velocity measured?

Angular velocity can be measured using different units depending on the context. In physics, it is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s). In engineering and mechanics, it may be measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or degrees per second (deg/s).