Where Should the Pivot Be Placed for Balance on a Seesaw?

• Thread starter uno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pivot
In summary, Harry and Gretchen are about to play on a seesaw. They need to find the distance from Harry to keep the seesaw balanced. The problem gives them the total length and the equation for finding the distance. They use the equation to find the distance and it is 2.57 meters.
uno
1. Harry, who weighs 360 N, and 170 N Gretchen are about to play on a 8.00 m long seesaw. He sits at one end and she at the other. Where should the pivot be located if they are to be balanced?

2. F1R1 = F2 R2; F1=360N F2 = 170 N. The problem gives the total length, and I know I need to find out the distance of Gretchen first, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have also used the formula (M1*g)R1 = (M2*g)R2, but again I'm not sure how to figure out the distance of Gretchen.

3. I tried to use this formula to figure out Gretchen's distance. To = r (mass).

530 = 170 (8) = 3.12, but that answer is incorrect. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to include:

They are looking for the distance in meters from Harry.

Thanks

uno said:
1. Harry, who weighs 360 N, and 170 N Gretchen are about to play on a 8.00 m long seesaw. He sits at one end and she at the other. Where should the pivot be located if they are to be balanced?

2. F1R1 = F2 R2; F1=360N F2 = 170 N. The problem gives the total length, and I know I need to find out the distance of Gretchen first, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have also used the formula (M1*g)R1 = (M2*g)R2, but again I'm not sure how to figure out the distance of Gretchen.

3. I tried to use this formula to figure out Gretchen's distance. To = r (mass).

530 = 170 (8) = 3.12, but that answer is incorrect. Please help.

Let L be the length from Harry. Then if it balances doesn't

360N * L = 170N * (8 - L) ?

In order to figure out the distance of Harry, don't we need to figure out the distance of Gretchen? I'm not sure what valut to put in for L where you have 8-L.

Uno: You have two unknowns R1, R2, so you require two equations for a solution:
Balance the torque moments:
F1*R1 = F2*R2,
and
R1+R2=8

Then solve for R1 or R2:
R1=(F2/(F1+F2)) * 8, the pivot is 2.57M from the larger force. Note the three significant figures in the answer. You were given 3 sig figs in the problem, be sure to include 3 in your answer or a tough TA/Prof might ding you.

Related to Where Should the Pivot Be Placed for Balance on a Seesaw?

1. How does the location of the pivot on a see saw affect its balance?

The location of the pivot on a see saw is crucial in determining its balance. The closer the pivot is to one end of the see saw, the more weight will be on that end and the heavier side will lower. On the other hand, if the pivot is closer to the middle, the weight will be evenly distributed and the see saw will be balanced.

2. Can the location of the pivot be changed to adjust the balance of a see saw?

Yes, the location of the pivot can be changed to adjust the balance of a see saw. By moving the pivot closer to one end, you can increase the weight on that side and lower the other end. This can be useful for children of different weights or when playing with multiple people on the see saw.

3. How does the weight of the objects on a see saw affect its balance?

The weight of the objects on a see saw plays a significant role in its balance. The heavier the objects on one end, the lower that end will go. This is because the heavier objects will exert more force on the see saw, causing it to tilt toward that side.

4. Is it possible for a see saw to be perfectly balanced?

Yes, it is possible for a see saw to be perfectly balanced. This is achieved when the weight on both ends is equal and the pivot is placed exactly in the middle. In this scenario, the see saw will remain level and not tilt in either direction.

5. What happens if the objects on a see saw are not evenly distributed?

If the objects on a see saw are not evenly distributed, the see saw will not be balanced. The heavier side will lower, while the lighter side will rise. This can make it difficult for both parties to enjoy the see saw, as one end will constantly be higher than the other.