Where is my mistake in this MATLAB code?

In summary, the problem is that Mathcad's "log" is log10 by default; Mathcad uses "ln" for loge. Ln results in plots that look markedly different from the article's plots - far more peaky. The solution is to replace the line "f = 0:20" with "f=[0.1 : 0.1 : 20]".
EngWiPy
Hi,

I am trying to plot the AN product sec II.C in the attached paper as:

Code:
clear all
clc

s=0.5;
w=0;
d=5; 

f=0:20;

NdB1=(17-30.*log10(f));
N1=10.^(NdB1./10);
NdB2=40+20*(s-0.5)+26.*log10(f)-60.*log10(f+0.03);
N2=10.^(NdB2./10);
NdB3=50+7.5*w^0.5+20.*log10(f)-40.*log10(f+0.4);
N3=10.^(NdB3./10);
NdB4=-15+20.*log10(f);
N4=10.^(NdB4./10);

N=N1+N2+N3+N4;

adB=0.11.*((f).^2./(1+(f).^2))+44.*((f).^2./(4100+(f).^2))+2.75*10^-4.*(f).^2+0.003;
a=10.^(adB./10);

A=(d^(1.5)).*a.^d;
A_N=1./(A.*N);

A_NdB=10*log10(A_N);

plot(f,A_NdB)

The details of these equations are highlighted in the attached file.

I appreciate if someone points to me my mistake, and the figure should be like Fig 3

Thanks

Attachments

• MITSG_07-13J.pdf
    265.6 KB · Views: 320
Physics news on Phys.org
What problem are you seeing? I'm not that familiar with Matlab, but one potential problem is trying to take log(0) ... how does Matlab handle this (eg, error, NaN)?

I've implemented your equations in Mathcad and the shape of the resultant plot seems to agree with the document's plot, seemingly differing by an offset and/or scaling factor - the peaks seem to agree and the overall size looks OK, so I suspect an offset of about 45 dB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52389&stc=1&d=1351440442.jpg

Attachments

• phys - 12 10 27 acoustic underwater comms 01.jpg
    phys - 12 10 27 acoustic underwater comms 01.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 609
What is the f range in your plot? Can you post your code please?

S_David said:
What is the f range in your plot? Can you post your code please?

I'm (hopefully) plotting the same range as you, on the assumption that your code was specialized for kHz. Here's an image of the (attached) Mathcad code.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52395&stc=1&d=1351445528.jpg

Attachments

• phys - 12 10 27 acoustic underwater comms 02.jpg
    phys - 12 10 27 acoustic underwater comms 02.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 564
  • phys - 12 10 27 acoustic underwater comms 02.mcd
    14.8 KB · Views: 426
Are you using log10 or natural logarithm in your code?

It looks like very much the same as my code!

Yes, it does look pretty much like your code, so that's why I was wondering what problem you're seeing.

Mathcad's "log" is log10 by default; Mathcad uses "ln" for loge. Whereas, it seems, Matlab's "log" is loge. Using loge results in plots that look markedly different from the article's plots - far more peaky.

S_David said:
Are you using log10 or natural logarithm in your code?

It looks like very much the same as my code!

There's no real problem with your code, it's just the normalizing constant [itex]A_0[/itex] causing the dB offset. That and the fact that you are plotting at too few values of "f", especially at low frequencies, to get a very accurate picture of what's going on.

Just replace the line

"f = 0:20"

with

"f=[0.1 : 0.1 : 20]" (or even better with f = logspace(-1,log10(20),100)

and you'll get exactly the same graph as figure 3 in the paper (k=1.5, w=0, s = 0.5 and d=5km), except for about a 45 dB offset, presumably due to A0.

BTW. You could have made it a lot easier for people to see what your problem was if you had of actually described the errors or anomalies you were concerned about (or even better posted an image of the plot you were obtaining).

Last edited:
uart said:
There's no real problem with your code, it's just the normalizing constant [itex]A_0[/itex] causing the dB offset. That and the fact that you are plotting at too few values of "f", especially at low frequencies, to get a very accurate picture of what's going on.

Just replace the line

"f = 0:20"

with

"f=[0.1 : 0.1 : 20]" (or even better with f = logspace(-1,log10(20),100)

and you'll get exactly the same graph as figure 3 in the paper (k=1.5, w=0, s = 0.5 and d=5km), except for about a 45 dB offset, presumably due to A0.

BTW. You could have made it a lot easier for people to see what your problem was if you had of actually described the errors or anomalies you were concerned about (or even better posted an image of the plot you were obtaining).

I am sorry if I were not clear, and thanks for your reply.

For d=5 Km the curves are very similar except for a certain scale, but for d=100 Km there is a huge difference! Is that because of A0, too?

Thanks

S_David said:
I am sorry if I were not clear, and thanks for your reply.

For d=5 Km the curves are very similar except for a certain scale, but for d=100 Km there is a huge difference! Is that because of A0, too?

Thanks
Ok I don't know, I only checked the code you posted and it gave the correct results (except for the offset) for d=5. The paper refers to a normalizing constant A0, which is not included in your equations, so certainly that could account for the dB offset. The other problem was that the result is -inf dB at f=0, so that result wasn't being shown on the graph, and plotting at just the integer frequencies 1:20 was not enough to get a good picture of the graph.

Ok I just checked the result at d=100 and it also agrees exactly with the graph (fig3) in the paper (except for the offset due to whatever normalizing constant they're using).

For d=100 I used the freq range: f = logspace(-2, log10(7), 100) to reproduce the figure in the paper (same shape exactly, but again with an offset of about 45 dB).

uart said:
Ok I just checked the result at d=100 and it also agrees exactly with the graph (fig3) in the paper (except for the offset due to whatever normalizing constant they're using).

For d=100 I used the freq range: f = logspace(-2, log10(7), 100) to reproduce the figure in the paper (same shape exactly, but again with an offset of about 45 dB).

Thank you so much, it is working now. Just the scaling factor is different which is of minor importance.

Related to Where is my mistake in this MATLAB code?

1. What is the most common mistake in writing MATLAB code?

The most common mistake in writing MATLAB code is forgetting to end a line of code with a semicolon. This can cause the code to run slower and take up more memory.

2. Why am I getting an error when I try to run my MATLAB code?

There are many potential reasons for getting an error when running MATLAB code, such as incorrect syntax, missing variables, or incompatible data types. It is important to carefully review the code and any error messages to identify the specific issue.

3. How can I find my mistake in a long and complex MATLAB code?

One way to find mistakes in a long and complex MATLAB code is to use the debugging tools available in the software. These tools allow you to step through the code line by line and see the values of variables at each step, which can help you identify where the mistake is occurring.

4. Why is my MATLAB code not producing the expected result?

There are a few potential reasons for this. It could be due to a mistake in the code itself, incorrect input or data, or a misunderstanding of how the code should work. It is important to carefully review the code and any input data to identify the issue.

5. How can I prevent making mistakes in my MATLAB code?

One way to prevent making mistakes in MATLAB code is to carefully plan and organize your code before writing it. This includes breaking down the problem into smaller steps, using comments to explain the purpose of each section of code, and testing the code as you go along. It is also helpful to regularly review and debug your code as you work on it.