Where is a good place to find scientific images w/o violating copyright?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of including figures from journal articles on a website about astronomy. The concern is that using these diagrams may violate copyright, but it is suggested to ask the publisher for permission or use images from NASA/ESA, which are typically in the public domain. The website creator is interested in using diagrams that explain physical processes rather than Hubble/space pictures.
Simfish
Gold Member
Okay, so I'm thinking about creating a website about astronomy. One thing I'd like to do is to include a lot of figures from journal articles. But I fear that including these diagrams will violate copyright. Are there certain journals that pretty much allow anyone to post figures without violating copyright? I know that Wiki is a good place to start (as all the images there are under the creative commons license), but I'd like to highlight examples/figures that aren't on Wiki, since my website will be useless if it just gets everything from Wikipedia.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could ask the publisher for permission to use the images, but I don't know how many of them would appreciate high-volume use on a public website. Alternately, if these are space pictures that you're looking for, many come from NASA / ESA anyways, and, IIRC, are public domain free for use (so long as attribution to NASA / ESA is maintained).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Messier51_sRGB.jpg

Oh okay. Yeah, I don't really care much for Hubble/space pictures (there are already enough of those sites); I care more about diagrams that actually explain the physical processes involved.

Related to Where is a good place to find scientific images w/o violating copyright?

1. Where can I find high-quality scientific images?

One of the best places to find high-quality scientific images is through reputable scientific databases and journals. These sources often have strict guidelines for image usage and copyright, ensuring that the images are accurate and reliable.

2. Can I use images from Google for my scientific research?

No, it is not recommended to use images from Google for scientific research as they may not be accurate or have proper attribution. It is important to use images from reputable sources to ensure the credibility of your research.

3. Are there any free sources for scientific images?

Yes, there are many free sources for scientific images, such as government websites, open access journals, and creative commons databases. However, always be sure to check the usage rights and properly attribute the images in your research.

4. Can I use images from social media for my scientific publication?

It is not recommended to use images from social media for scientific publications as they may not have proper attribution or be accurate. It is best to use images from reputable sources to ensure the credibility of your research.

5. What are some tips for finding scientific images without violating copyright?

- Use reputable scientific databases and journals
- Check the usage rights and proper attribution for any images you plan to use
- Consider using free sources for scientific images
- Avoid using images from search engines or social media platforms
- Always cite the source of the image in your research