Where exactly is the Hertzsprung Gap?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap
In summary, the conversation discusses a figure of the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram and the gaps that appear in it. The gaps are explained to be due to stars evolving between branches in a short period of time, resulting in a lack of observed stars in those areas. The figure in the referenced article does not explicitly label the Hertzsprung gap, but it can be seen between Procyon and Pollux. The gap is a reflection of the time it takes for hydrogen to start burning in a shell around an inert helium core.
swampwiz
There seem to be a lot of gaps in this figure, although some streamlined depictions of the figure show a void in the shape of a thin near-right rectangle with its sides as the hypotenuse on the bottom left being the main line, the major on the top being the supergiants, and the minor on the right being the giants. Is this it? I've tried doing an internet search, but nothing definitive has come up.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
There seem to be a lot of gaps in this figure,
I think you forgot to post the figure. I don't see any figure.

Likes Dragrath
swampwiz said:
There seem to be a lot of gaps in this figure,

anorlunda said:
I think you forgot to post the figure. I don't see any figure.

Presumably this one

H-R Diagram.jpg

@swampwiz which specific gaps are you referring to ?

• Informative
Likes Klystron
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and davenn
Here is a diagram with the HG labelled.
clusterhr.gif

I am a little out of my league here, but I do believe the reason it is not obvious in typical diagrams is because they don't offer a time dimension that shows evolution of stars.

Main sequence stars pass through that gap to become red giants - but because they're unstable, they do so in a short period of time.

So, if we look into the heavens we don't see a lot of them due to that short duration. i.e. there's a gap.

The above diagram makes it a little more clear how stars age, and pass through the HG.

See caveat in sig line* and please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ EDIT ]
"Stars do exist in the Hertzsprung gap region, but because they move through this section of the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram very quickly in comparison to the lifetime of the star (thousands of years, compared to tens of billions of years for the lifetime of the star), that portion of the diagram is less densely populated."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertzsprung_gap

So yeah.

Last edited:
Likes Dragrath and davenn
davenn said:
Presumably this one

View attachment 255826

@swampwiz which specific gaps are you referring to ?
Yes, this it the one to which I was referring. There are other depictions of this diagram but they don't seem to show any gap - or at least one prominent gap.

Vanadium 50 said:
The figure for that article didn't have an annotation, and the gap was less prominent than the one to which I was referring, so I didn't reference it. And that one to which I was referring showed no gap between the main sequence and the giant branch, so it was all quite confusing.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
DaveC426913 said:
Here is a diagram with the HG labelled.
View attachment 255827

I am a little out of my league here, but I do believe the reason it is not obvious in typical diagrams is because they don't offer a time dimension that shows evolution of stars.

Main sequence stars pass through that gap to become red giants - but because they're unstable, they do so in a short period of time.

So, if we look into the heavens we don't see a lot of them due to that short duration. i.e. there's a gap.

The above diagram makes it a little more clear how stars age, and pass through the HG.

See caveat in sig line* and please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ EDIT ]
"Stars do exist in the Hertzsprung gap region, but because they move through this section of the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram very quickly in comparison to the lifetime of the star (thousands of years, compared to tens of billions of years for the lifetime of the star), that portion of the diagram is less densely populated."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertzsprung_gap

So yeah.
I can grok the idea that stars follow a continuous path in the diagram, and that they spend a very small amount of time moving between the branches, resulting in very few stars being observed between them. in this sense, the "gap" is really an expression of this fact.

Likes DaveC426913
swampwiz said:
The figure for that article didn't have an annotation

Um...if you say so. That's not what I see.

There:
1579482106214.png

Likes Dragrath and Motore
swampwiz said:
The figure for that article didn't have an annotation, and the gap was less prominent than the one to which I was referring, so I didn't reference it. And that one to which I was referring showed no gap between the main sequence and the giant branch, so it was all quite confusing.
It's not explicitly labeled, but it's between Procyon on the main sequence, and Pollux on the giant branch. Physically what's going on is that hydrogen burning in the core has finished leaving an inert helium core that begins to contract. The Hertzsprung gap is a reflection of the time it takes for hydrogen to start burning in a shell around that core. Once shell burning is initiated the star then appears on the giant branch.

Related to Where exactly is the Hertzsprung Gap?

1. What is the Hertzsprung Gap?

The Hertzsprung Gap is a region on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram where there is a noticeable absence of stars. It is located between the main sequence and red giant branches.

2. Where exactly is the Hertzsprung Gap located?

The Hertzsprung Gap is located on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, which is a graph that plots the luminosity of stars against their surface temperature. It can be found between the main sequence and red giant branches.

3. Why is there a gap in the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram?

The gap in the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram is caused by a lack of stars in that region. This is because stars spend a relatively short amount of time in this stage of their evolution, making them less common compared to stars in the main sequence or red giant branches.

4. What types of stars can be found in the Hertzsprung Gap?

The Hertzsprung Gap is mainly populated by stars that are transitioning from the main sequence to the red giant branch. These stars are called subgiants and are slightly larger and cooler than main sequence stars.

5. How does the Hertzsprung Gap relate to stellar evolution?

The Hertzsprung Gap is an important stage in the evolution of stars. It marks the transition from the main sequence, where stars spend the majority of their lives, to the red giant branch. This transition is caused by changes in the star's internal structure and nuclear fusion processes.