Where does this equation for an ellipse come from?

• Thread starter davidbenari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation revolves around a general equation for the ellipse, as given by the professor. The equation is derived by considering a vector and converting it to x-y coordinates. The equation involves parameters such as ##\phi_x, \phi_y, x_0, y_0##, which represent the orientation and position of the ellipse. The conversation also touches upon the difference between a parametric equation and an equation for the path.
davidbenari
I'm reading the professors notes and he gives this general equation for the ellipse. The professor has already been mistaken in some of his notes so I wanted you to help me validate what he's saying, as I can't prove the equation.

Suppose we have the vector ##\mathbf{r}=\big(x_o \cos(-\omega t + \phi_x), y_o \cos(-\omega t +\phi_y)\big)##

Then, he says that the general equation for the path is:

##\frac{x}{x_o}^2+\frac{y}{y_o}^2-\frac{2xy}{x_oy_o}\cos\delta=\sin^2\delta##

where ##\delta=\phi_y-\phi_x##.

So my question was where does this equation come from? How can I derive it? I know these type of equations are tedious to prove so it's okay if you give me a rough outline, or point me towards a source which does go through it. Or at least tell me you attest to its validity. I can't find the equation elsewhere and I haven't been able to prove it myself.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If ##\phi_x-\phi_y## is not an odd multiple of ##\frac{\pi}{2}## the ##xy## term will be nonzero, so the ellipse axes will be rotated relative to the x and y axes.

Start with an x-y coordinate system and then consider a second coordinate system X-Y whose origin is at (u,v) in the x,-y coordinates and whose X and Y axes are angle ##\theta## to the anticlockwise direction from the x and y axes.

Consider an ellipse centred at (u,v) with semi-major and semi-minor axes of a and b aligned with the X and Y axes. The equation of that ellipse is ##\frac{X^2}{a^2}+\frac{Y^2}{b^2}=1##.

With a bit of messy trigonometry you should be able to convert that into an equation in x-y coordinates. Then match terms to the given equation and work out what ##\phi_x,\phi_y,x_0,y_0## represent in the diagram.

Likes davidbenari
Nice, i'll try it in a while. How would time dependence vanish though?

Oh I think I see it... The arguments would be subtracted, right?

The equation without time in it is an equation of a 'path', which differs from a 'curve' in that it is not parameterised. It simply specifies the set of points that are traced out by a particle following the curve. The equation with t in it is a parametrised equation, which shows how the path is traversed over time. A simple analog is the circle, whose parametric equation is ##x=r\cos t,\ y=\sin t## and the equation for the path traced out is ##x^2+y^2=1##.

I expect (but do not guarantee :wink:) that a parametric equation matching the given one will suggest itself once an equation for the path has been obtained.

Related to Where does this equation for an ellipse come from?

1. What is the equation for an ellipse?

The standard equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively.

2. Where did this equation come from?

The equation for an ellipse comes from the mathematical definition of an ellipse, which is the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points (called the foci) add up to a constant value. This equation is derived from the distance formula and the Pythagorean theorem.

3. How is this equation different from the equation for a circle?

The equation for an ellipse is similar to the equation for a circle (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, but the main difference is that the ellipse has two different radii, a and b, while the circle has only one radius, r. This results in a more elongated shape for the ellipse compared to the circle.

4. Can this equation be used to graph any ellipse?

Yes, the standard equation for an ellipse can be used to graph any ellipse, as long as the values for h, k, a, and b are known. This equation can also be rewritten in different forms, such as the center-radius form or the general form, to fit different scenarios.

5. Are there any real-life applications for this equation?

Yes, the equation for an ellipse has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, the orbits of planets around the sun can be described by ellipses, and the shape of an egg can also be approximated by an ellipse. Additionally, the shape of car headlights and satellite dishes can also be modeled using this equation.