Where Does the Energy Go When Magnetic Fields Cancel?

In summary: But they still exist and you can see them by pointing a magnetic field detector at the wire.But what happened to the magnetic field when the meter reads 0? Please describe what happens. Thanks.The reading on the meter would be 0 because the magnetic field has been cancelled out.
rodsika
I got this electromagnetic field detector that can measure magnetic field (B-fields) of Alternating Current of 60 Hz. Supposed after getting the 2 wires together and the magnetic field canceled and reading lowered from 10 milligauss to 1 or 0 milligauss. Does it mean getting a meter that measures steady magnetic field would get reading of the original 10milligauss in the same setup? That is.. when the AC magnetic field cancelled, it becomes DC magnetic field or would the magnetic field turn zero (or close to 0 owing to not all cancelled)?

This is because I heard when magnetic fields canceled in the AC wires of the same circuit. They are not gone. The energy density is still there and only the frequency got cancelled. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not become a DC field. For that you need a DC current in the wire.

Antiphon said:
No, it does not become a DC field. For that you need a DC current in the wire.

But isn't it that for the zone where magnetic fields canceled, they were not annihilated.. but simply suppressed... it's like two water waves coming from opposite directions.. when they meet, the zone would be calm, but they would continue at others sides.. much like superposition. Isn't it this is also what happened to magnetic fields cancelled?

It doesn't work like water. The fields add each as if the other wasn't there.

Antiphon said:
It doesn't work like water. The fields add each as if the other wasn't there.

Can you please elaborate what you meant by "The fields add each as if the other wasn't there"? When magnetic fields from alternating current cancel. Isn't it that the fields still exist only they are not in sine wave anymore but steady? Hope someone with more words and descriptions can explain. Thanks.

What is the polarity of each wire? The same or opposite?

Drakkith said:
What is the polarity of each wire? The same or opposite?

Just imagine you wire single wire AC cords to a light bulb and plug it into 60 Hertz 110 Volts AC. Separately, the wire would have big magnetic field like 10 milligauss.. but when you put the wires close to each other (the wire before and after the bulb), the magnetic fields cancelled. My question is. Isn't it that energy is conserved. So when two EM waves cancel each other means that the two EM waves are somehow hiding underneath the covers becoming DC magnetic field. If not true, where did the magnetic field go?

The fields don't cancel, they exert a force on each wire and try to force the two wires apart. At least that's what I think my basic electronics book was saying. I'll try to get a reference.

Actually, I think my first question was wrong. I don't think the field has a polarity between 2 wires. But I definitely remember that two wires in a circuit would be pushed apart.

Drakkith said:
Actually, I think my first question was wrong. I don't think the field has a polarity between 2 wires. But I definitely remember that two wires in a circuit would be pushed apart.

No this won't happen. The magnetic field of the currents in a power cord would not be strong enough to push the wires apart. What were you thinking? I hope others can comment too of what happened to the magnetic field when they are cancelled. Do they just hide in the zone or completely annhilated.. please elaborate

rodsika said:
No this won't happen. The magnetic field of the currents in a power cord would not be strong enough to push the wires apart. What were you thinking? I hope others can comment too of what happened to the magnetic field when they are cancelled. Do they just hide in the zone or completely annhilated.. please elaborate

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply the wires would actually be pushed apart in a power cord, obviously this does not happen. I only meant that the wires would feel a force that would want to push them apart.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
My apologies, I didn't mean to imply the wires would actually be pushed apart in a power cord, obviously this does not happen. I only meant that the wires would feel a force that would want to push them apart.

But what happened to the magnetic field when the meter reads 0? Please describe what happens. Thanks.

Here we go, take a look here about current in a loop: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html#c1

As you can see, at the bottom and top of the loop the magnetic field is "around" the wire. This corrosponds to the magnetic field in a single wire as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Electromagnetism.svg

Since the current is traveling opposite in the return line in your power cord the two fields are oriented differently. One would be clockwise and the other counterclockwise if you were looking down the wires. These fields oppose each other in that they exert a force on each wire, attempting to force them apart. However, they also "add" together to produce a basic electromagnet, as the first link shows.

The only difference in your AC circuit would be that the current and orientation of the magnetic fields switch at 60 hz. I believe two wires next to each other instead of in a loop would experience the same effects as the loop. So the fields don't cancel or annihilate, it simply switches poles with the electric frequency.

rodsika said:
But what happened to the magnetic field when the meter reads 0? Please describe what happens. Thanks.

Do you have a link to the type of detector you have?

Drakkith said:
Do you have a link to the type of detector you have?

This https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046HEZMM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So are you actually getting a reading near zero? What exactly are you doing when you get this reading?

Drakkith said:
So are you actually getting a reading near zero? What exactly are you doing when you get this reading?

When the AC line before and after the bulb is split apart, the reading is higher. When they are close together. It got very low (but not zero). What happened to the magnetic field. It got canceled but does it get annihilated or is it just hiding in the cover or what...

Or let me reformulate the questions in more clearer terms.

Suppose we have two photons that are 180 degrees out of phase. We can assign one unit of energy to each photon. When we superpose the two photons, the combined electric and magnetic field goes to zero as does the Poynting vector and the energy density. So where does the energy go?

I don't know how your meter detects the magnetic field so I can't really say much on that. I don't think two photons would interact like that though. If anything they would interfere and would act accordingly.

Drakkith said:
I don't know how your meter detects the magnetic field so I can't really say much on that. I don't think two photons would interact like that though. If anything they would interfere and would act accordingly.

Or just consider a powerline in the street. Some are designed such that the magnetic fields canceled or attenuated a lot so it won't reach the houses below. In such cancellation, what happened to the magnetic field? Or just consider any general scenerio where magnetic field cancel, where does the energy go. Hope others can comment too. Thanks.

Related to Where Does the Energy Go When Magnetic Fields Cancel?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or magnetic material experiences a force. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric currents or in the atoms of magnetic materials.

2. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects changes in the strength and direction of a magnetic field and provides quantitative measurements.

3. What are the applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including use in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and compasses. They are also used in data storage devices such as hard drives and credit cards.

4. How can I protect myself from magnetic fields?

Most magnetic fields encountered in everyday life are not harmful to humans. However, high levels of magnetic fields can be dangerous to individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers. In these cases, it is important to follow safety precautions and avoid exposure to strong magnetic fields.

5. Can magnetic fields affect human health?

There is ongoing research on the potential effects of magnetic fields on human health. Some studies suggest that long-term exposure to high levels of magnetic fields may increase the risk of certain cancers and other health issues. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential health effects of magnetic fields.