Where Does the Energy for the Expanding Universe Come From?

In summary: If you think of energy as something that can be converted to other forms of energy, then it is conserved. If you think of energy as something that is always conserved, then it is not conserved.
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
What is the source of the energy needed by the ever expanding space-time? It could not be baryonic matter, since it accounts for only 4%. It could not be radiation, since it accounts for only 0.008%. Is it dark matter being converted? Is it quantum fluctuations?
Kurt Ludwig

Space news on Phys.org
The universe doesn’t need an energy source to expand.

KurtLudwig said:
What is the source of the energy needed by the ever expanding space-time?

There doesn't need to be a source or expenditure of energy. Instead it is the result of the particular geometry of spacetime. Don't interpret the expansion of space as a process involving forces and acceleration as you and I know it from our everday lives (these do require energy). A ball launched out into intergalactic space will recede from us with an increasing velocity over time, but it itself will never experience any acceleration (as measured by an accelerometer). Nor would we. The only known way for our recession velocities to increase without expending energy is for the underlying geometry of spacetime to be such that this happens.

Unfortunately 4-D geometry is rather complicated and non-intuitive, so it may not make any sense right now. I wish I understood it better and could do a better job at explaining it.

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately 4-D geometry is rather complicated and non-intuitive, so it may not make any sense right now. I wish I understood it better and could do a better job at explaining it.
Can one boil down the geometry argument saying that matter falls away from each other (if not gravitationally bound) since the decay of the inflaton field. The reason for this is the de Sitter like expansion during inflation which follows from the Friedmann equation.But how is the geometry argument connected with such kind of reasoning?
In my opinion The Meaning of Einstein’s Equation provides good insights why things are moving apart from each other.

timmdeeg said:
But how is the geometry argument connected with such kind of reasoning?

My understanding is that it is because matter 'falling away from each other' happens because of geometry. As in, in the absence of forces the geometry of spacetime at the largest scales makes geodesics move away from each other in space. But I admit my knowledge of the details of GR is limited. Hopefully I haven't strung together a bunch of words that end up meaning nothing. :wink:

I still do nor fully understand the following: Space is expanding, but its energy density stays constant. It follows that the total amount of dark energy is increasing. Where does this additional dark energy come from? Kurt Ludwig

Very interesting insights by Sean Carroll. When the space through which particles move is changing, the total energy of those particles is not conserved. Energy is not conserved in General Relativity. (I am currently reading Sean Carroll's book "The Big Picture.") Kurt Ludwig

KurtLudwig said:
Very interesting insights by Sean Carroll. When the space through which particles move is changing, the total energy of those particles is not conserved. Energy is not conserved in General Relativity. (I am currently reading Sean Carroll's book "The Big Picture.") Kurt Ludwig
That statement depends on your notion of energy, which is tricky in GR.

Related to Where Does the Energy for the Expanding Universe Come From?

What is the "expanding universe" and how does energy play a role?

The expanding universe is the theory that the universe is constantly growing and getting bigger. This theory suggests that this expansion is driven by energy, specifically dark energy. Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe and is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

What is dark energy and how is it different from other types of energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to permeate all of space and is believed to be responsible for the expansion of the universe. It is different from other types of energy because it cannot be directly observed or measured, and its exact nature and properties are still largely unknown to scientists.

How does energy impact the rate of expansion of the universe?

Energy, specifically dark energy, is thought to be the driving force behind the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, dark energy becomes more dominant and causes the expansion to accelerate. The exact mechanism for this acceleration is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the properties of space itself.

Could the expansion of the universe eventually slow down or stop?

It is currently unknown whether the expansion of the universe will eventually slow down or stop. Some theories suggest that dark energy will continue to drive the expansion and that the universe will continue to expand forever. However, other theories propose that the expansion could eventually slow down or even reverse, leading to a "big crunch" where the universe collapses in on itself.

How is energy related to the origins of the universe?

The role of energy in the origins of the universe is still a topic of much debate and research. Some theories suggest that the universe began with a burst of energy known as the Big Bang, which created all matter and energy in the universe. Other theories propose that energy has always existed and that the universe has been expanding and contracting in an eternal cycle. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the role of energy in the origins of the universe.