Where does the charge on tankers come from?

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged
In summary, the electric charge on trucks comes from the friction between the tires and the road. The amount of charge depends on the materials involved.
pixel01
As you know some trucks (tankers) always have a chain or wire underneath to discharge electricity. My question is where has the charge come from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Static electricity is generated by the tires and the air moving over the surface of the trucks body and tank.

PaulS1950 said:
Static electricity is generated by the tires and the air moving over the surface of the trucks body and tank.

Thanks,
So what dominates the charge: the tires or the moving air?
I myself sometimes create sparks when touching the door knob. Quite strong. No air moving, so maybe it's only the tires?

The amount of charge of the air depends on the velocity, temperature and humidity and the amount of charge developed by the tires depends on the materials involved. (the composition of the tires and road surface.

PaulS1950 said:
The amount of charge of the air depends on the velocity, temperature and humidity and the amount of charge developed by the tires depends on the materials involved. (the composition of the tires and road surface.

But we don't know what is the dominant. Possibly that the tires can make up 99% of the charge, and we can neglect the air. Say, the airplane, it fly very fast and I do not know if if has problem with charge caused by the moving air.

pixel01 said:
But we don't know what is the dominant. Possibly that the tires can make up 99% of the charge, and we can neglect the air. Say, the airplane, it fly very fast and I do not know if if has problem with charge caused by the moving air.
Google on airplane static discharge. It's not the tires that is dominant in accumulating charge in airplanes.

turbo-1 said:
Google on airplane static discharge. It's not the tires that is dominant in accumulating charge in airplanes.

Sure that the tires do not dominate the charge in airplanes. They taxi very slowly and just some km on runway.

I would start with Van de Graaff Generators, and work up to trucks. The principle is the same, and while the tires carry some charge, it's hardly a belt with combs. Imagine a volcanic eruption of a stratovolcano: The small particles cause large charges to build in the plume, hence SERIOUS air-air lightning.

Consider the road vs. dry cool air, striking the (essentually) hollow metal box, that is most of a truck: that is a LOT of charge being exchanged, compared to rotating tires which would tend to discharge on their own more than simply carry the charge to the truck's body.

EDIT: Hmmmm... then again, truck tired are steel belted... I wonder what effect that has. Can the tires act a bit like capacitors? Even then collision with air and dust (pollen, etc) would be a greater factor.

pixel01 said:
Sure that the tires do not dominate the charge in airplanes. They taxi very slowly and just some km on runway.
No. The primary cause is static charge resulting from the dry air rubbing on the skin of the airplane. Did you google on "airplane static discharge"? It would help settle the needless speculation.

turbo-1 said:
No. The primary cause is static charge resulting from the dry air rubbing on the skin of the airplane. Did you google on "airplane static discharge"? It would help settle the needless speculation.

I have not googled, but the 2 cases are quite different. Airplanes fly very fast, the friction caused by moving air is big. But the truck moves much slower and the tires always have friction with the surface of the road. My speculation is about the truck.

pixel01 said:
I have not googled, but the 2 cases are quite different. Airplanes fly very fast, the friction caused by moving air is big. But the truck moves much slower and the tires always have friction with the surface of the road.

*Faceplam*

Frame Dragger said:
*Faceplam*

?

I guess you all have experienced electric shocks (sometimes, not gentle) while walking in a supermarket and unattentively touch the trolley or somethings. That's all for friction of the shoes and the floor, not the air moving.
So in the case of trucks, I am not sure if the tires are the dominant or just moving air.
I thought it's only because of the air.

Related to Where does the charge on tankers come from?

Why do tankers be charged?

Tankers are charged for several reasons, including the cost of transportation, maintenance and operation costs, and fees for loading and unloading cargo. These charges help cover the expenses associated with the use of tankers.

What factors determine the charges for tankers?

The charges for tankers are determined by various factors, such as the distance traveled, the type of cargo being transported, the size and capacity of the tanker, and current market conditions. These factors can impact the overall cost of using a tanker.

How are tanker charges calculated?

Tanker charges are typically calculated based on a per-ton or per-barrel basis. This means that the total cost is determined by the weight or quantity of the cargo being transported. Other factors, such as fuel costs and port fees, may also be included in the calculation.

Do different types of tankers have different charges?

Yes, different types of tankers may have different charges. For example, larger tankers with a higher capacity may have higher charges compared to smaller tankers. Additionally, specialized tankers designed for specific types of cargo may also have different charges.

Are tanker charges regulated?

Tanker charges are typically regulated by government agencies or international organizations to ensure fair pricing and prevent monopolies. However, the specific regulations may vary depending on the country or region in which the tanker is operating.