Where does Gravitation equals zero?

In summary: Solve for the distance that makes the net force zero.I've tried but I can't solve for the distance, the furthest I've gotten is this:Fg=G*(m1(m2))/r^20=6.67*10^-11(2/x^2)
Sapphiretwirl

Homework Statement

So a 1kg mass and a 2kg mass are placed 10m away from each other, somewhere in between them the force of gravity cancles out. Where would am object with a mass of m be placed so that it is not affected by either of the 1kg and 2kg masses?

Homework Equations

Not sure, something with gravitation,rotational motion, angular velocity Ect.

The Attempt at a Solution

F=G*m1(m)/r

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is not quite right; see: Gravity

All you need to worry about is the force of gravity. Hint: Will the ƩF = 0 point will be closer to the 1 kg mass or the 2 kg mass?

The 1 kg mass of course, but I don't know where to go from there :(

Sapphiretwirl said:
The 1 kg mass of course, but I don't know where to go from there :(
Good!

Call the distance to the 1 kg mass "x". What is the force of gravity from the 1 kg mass at that point?

If the distance to the 1 kg mass is x, what would be the distance to the 2 kg mass? What is the gravitational force from the 2 kg mass at that point?

Solve for the distance that makes the net force zero.

I've tried but I can't solve for the distance, the furthest I've gotten is this

Fg=G*(m1(m2))/r^2

0=6.67*10^-11(2/x^2)

Isn't it a bit weird that your formula for the force of gravity doesn't involve the mass m of the object we are looking at?

There are two sources of gravity, each of them acts on the object in a different direction.

I got 1.7 meters for x

I probably did something wrong

Sapphiretwirl said:
I got 1.7 meters for x
Pls post your working, not just the numeric answer. Preferably, do all the working in symbols, only plugging in numbers at the end. Follow Doc Al's recipe.

I really don't know what I did

Sapphiretwirl said:
I really don't know what I did
Then start again, following Doc Al's recipe. Answer each question in turn, as far as you can:
Call the distance to the 1 kg mass "x". What is the force of gravity from the 1 kg mass at that point?

If the distance to the 1 kg mass is x, what would be the distance to the 2 kg mass?

What is the gravitational force from the 2 kg mass at that point?

Related to Where does Gravitation equals zero?

1. What is the concept of "gravitation equals zero"?

"Gravitation equals zero" refers to a point or location in space where the force of gravity is equal to zero. This means that objects at this point will experience no gravitational pull from any nearby masses.

2. Where can we find a point where gravitation equals zero?

Gravitation can theoretically equal zero at an infinite distance from all masses. However, in our solar system, there are points known as Lagrange points where the gravitational pull from two or more masses cancels out, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

3. How does the concept of "gravitation equals zero" relate to space travel?

Understanding points where gravitation equals zero is crucial for space travel. These points can be utilized to position spacecraft in a stable orbit without expending large amounts of fuel. They can also be used as stepping stones for interplanetary travel.

4. Can gravitation truly equal zero?

In classical physics, gravitation can theoretically equal zero at an infinite distance from all masses. However, in the field of quantum mechanics, the concept of zero-point energy suggests that there is always some level of energy and gravitational force present, even in seemingly empty space.

5. How does the concept of "gravitation equals zero" tie into Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the concept of "gravitation equals zero" is explained as a result of the curvature of space-time. This theory suggests that objects with mass create a curvature in the fabric of space-time, and at certain points, the curvature cancels out, resulting in a state of zero gravity.