Where Does Energy Go When Water Boils?

I mean, I don't know what your idea of "steady" is.In summary, the energy travels from the fire to the boiler and then to the water, causing it to boil and undergo a phase change. Some of the energy is also transferred to the air. When placing a beaker of water on a hot plate, the hot plate will transfer energy to the water, but the rate at which it does so may not necessarily be steady.
imboring2000
hi! I wanted to know the answer for this question: Where is the energy going when the water is boiling? We are talking about thermal energy in my class. Also, If I would place a beaker of water on a hot plate in order for it to get hot and change temperature, Would the hot plate transfer energy to the water at a steady rate?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
imboring2000 said:
Where is the energy going when the water is boiling? Thanks

When the water is boiling, the energy travles from the fire to the boiler, the boiler to the water, this causes the water to "boil" which means that it is undergoing a phase change (water to gas). The energy is used for evaporation (Heat of Vaporization). Some of the energy form the water is transferred to the air.

imboring2000 said:
Also, If I would place a beaker of water on a hot plate in order for it to get hot and change temperature, Would the hot plate transfer energy to the water at a steady rate? Thanks

Yeah, but the word "steady" is a little sketchy to me.

Hi there! When water is boiling, the energy is going into breaking the bonds between the water molecules, causing them to turn into vapor. This is known as the heat of vaporization and is a type of thermal energy. As for your second question, yes, the hot plate would transfer energy to the water at a steady rate. This is because the hot plate is constantly emitting heat, and the water will continue to absorb that heat until it reaches its boiling point. I hope this helps with your homework!

Related to Where Does Energy Go When Water Boils?

What is boiling?

Boiling is the process of converting a liquid into a gas by heating it to its boiling point.

What is the boiling point?

The boiling point is the temperature at which a liquid turns into a gas. It is dependent on the specific substance and can vary depending on external factors such as pressure.

What factors can affect the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance can be affected by pressure, altitude, and the presence of impurities. Higher pressure typically increases the boiling point, while lower pressure decreases it. Altitude also plays a role, with lower atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes resulting in a lower boiling point. Additionally, impurities in the substance can change its boiling point.

What is the purpose of boiling homework?

Boiling homework is used to help students understand the concept of boiling and how it relates to the physical and chemical properties of substances. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some real-world applications of boiling?

Boiling has many real-world applications, such as cooking, purifying water, and producing steam for power generation. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, chemical processing, and cosmetics.