Where Does Current Go With a 4V Servo?

• Thread starter pug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: The current will flow from the power supply to the servo, and then back to the power supply. Thank you for any help!
pug
Hi I am trying to do a DIY with a servo and I was wondering...

If I have a power source (e.g. 4V with 50 mAmps) connected to a 4V servo with a running current requirement of 200 mAmps...where will the current from the power source go? Will it just heat the motor of the servo? Or if there was a capacitor will the capacitor collect the current and then periodically discharge it to the motor?

I have been taught that voltage is akin to the 'height' of the electron and current is the amount of electrons that are flowing. So if the voltage is correct will the electrons compile in the capacitor like a dam until it 'bursts' or discharge?

thank you for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your servo requires 200 mA, and you picked a power supply that can only deliver 50 mA, then you could be under-serving your servo. What little current your power supply is providing will still go into the servo. Have you tried it yet? Please report on what happens.

If your servo is always doing something, a capacitor will not help. If your servo is only active, say less than 25% of the time, yes a right-sized capacitance will help (depends on how long the servo is continuously active).

Why use with an undersized power supply to begin with?

pug said:
will the electrons compile in the capacitor like a dam until it 'bursts' or discharge?

The circuit should not over-voltage the capacitor, capacitors have max voltage ratings. A capacitor voltage will rise at it charges, and it will accumulate less and less charge as the voltage at the terminal connected to the charging voltage source rises. The capacitor should not burst or overcharge, it will just get full and then current will stop flowing because the voltage at the input terminal of the capacitor will equal the voltage at the output of the power supply.

The below is more elaborate / formal / better explanation.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html

pug said:
Hi I am trying to do a DIY with a servo and I was wondering...

If I have a power source (e.g. 4V with 50 mAmps) connected to a 4V servo with a running current requirement of 200 mAmps...where will the current from the power source go?
In general, current just goes around and around the circuit. Using the water analogy, it's like a circular piping loop.

Related to Where Does Current Go With a 4V Servo?

1. What is a 4V servo?

A 4V servo is a type of electric motor used in robotics and other mechanical systems to control the position of a device or object.

2. How does a 4V servo work?

A 4V servo works by receiving a control signal, typically in the form of a pulse, from a microcontroller or other device. This signal tells the servo motor how far to rotate, and the motor then uses a feedback mechanism to adjust its position to match the control signal.

3. What happens to current in a 4V servo?

The current in a 4V servo is used to power the motor and control its movement. As the servo motor moves, the current also changes to match the rotational speed and torque required for the motor to reach and maintain its desired position.

4. Does the current change based on the voltage supplied?

Yes, the current in a 4V servo will change based on the voltage supplied. As the voltage increases, the current will also increase in order to maintain the same power output from the motor. However, exceeding the recommended voltage for a servo can cause damage to the motor and should be avoided.

5. What factors can affect the current in a 4V servo?

The current in a 4V servo can be affected by a variety of factors, including the load on the servo (the weight or resistance it is moving), the voltage supplied, the quality of the servo's internal components, and any external forces or friction acting on the servo's movement.