Where do learned reactions fit in the picture of the brain?

In summary, conscious decisions are regulated by the prefrontal cortex, inherited reactions are regulated by the hypothalamus and amygdala, and learned reactions are regulated by the basal ganglia in concert with other parts of the brain. As a skill becomes a habit, the basal ganglia begins to emit the learned action in response to cues, shifting from a holistic and tentative processing style to a reflexive, remembered response.
nomadreid
Gold Member
That is, conscious decisions are said to be regulated by the prefrontal cortex, whereas inherited reactions (fear of snakes, etc.) are more regulated by the hypothalamus and the amygdala. (Yes, I am aware that this is something of a simplification, but this is valid enough for my question, I believe.) Learned reactions (how to react to steer a bicycle, etc.), which are learned by conscious decision but can act just like an inherited reaction, are somewhere in-between. So which part of the brain regulates them?

Biology news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
That is, conscious decisions are said to be regulated by the prefrontal cortex, whereas inherited reactions (fear of snakes, etc.) are more regulated by the hypothalamus and the amygdala. (Yes, I am aware that this is something of a simplification, but this is valid enough for my question, I believe.) Learned reactions (how to react to steer a bicycle, etc.), which are learned by conscious decision but can act just like an inherited reaction, are somewhere in-between. So which part of the brain regulates them?

Simple answer is basal ganglia.

More complicated answer is that the basal ganglia works in concert with cortex (and thalamus, and cerebellum, etc). When you are first learning skills in the spotlight of attention, your whole brain has to find out how to do it. But as action becomes a habit, the basal ganglia begins just to emit the learned action in response to releasing cues.

So rather than focusing too much on the location of functions, think about it more as a shift in processing style from holistic and tentative to the reflexive emitting of a remembered response.

Thank you very much for this answer, apeiron.

Related to Where do learned reactions fit in the picture of the brain?

1. What are learned reactions?

Learned reactions refer to the behaviors or responses that an individual has acquired through experience or practice, rather than being innate. These reactions are not present at birth, but are developed through interactions with the environment.

2. How do learned reactions differ from reflexes?

Reflexes are innate responses that are automatic and do not require conscious thought. On the other hand, learned reactions require conscious effort and practice to develop. Additionally, reflexes are usually simple and unlearned, while learned reactions can be complex and varied.

3. Where do learned reactions fit in the brain?

Learned reactions are processed and stored in the brain through a process called neuroplasticity. This refers to the brain's ability to change and adapt in response to new experiences. Specifically, learned reactions are formed and stored in the cerebral cortex, the outer layer of the brain responsible for higher cognitive functions.

4. How do scientists study learned reactions in the brain?

Scientists use various techniques, such as brain imaging and behavioral experiments, to study learned reactions in the brain. Brain imaging allows researchers to visualize changes in brain activity when an individual is performing a learned reaction. Behavioral experiments involve observing and measuring how an individual's learned reaction changes with different stimuli or conditions.

5. Can learned reactions be unlearned?

Yes, through a process called extinction, learned reactions can be unlearned or weakened. Extinction occurs when a previously learned reaction is no longer reinforced by the environment, causing it to gradually diminish and eventually disappear. However, it may take more effort and practice to unlearn a reaction compared to learning it initially.