Where do I go to discuss scientific theories?

In summary: You're welcome! Though if I may make a suggestion, after looking briefly through some previous posts of yours that may have motivated you to start this thread, it occurs to me that you may not know what the word "theory" means. Please read up on the Scientific Method and make sure you are only trying to...Attempt to engage in scientific discussion.
NotKepler
I want to casually discuss possible scientific theories but it seems like all forums prohibit that type of discussion...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Timothy Proudkii said:
Where do I go to post theories?
The problem with forums that allow open discussion of personal theories is that they attract crackpots like pizza attracts me. Threads degenerate to meaninglessness. It was tried once here and it was a disaster. You can likely poke around and find a forum but you likely won't be happy with the results. Why would you not want to just learn actual science?

phinds said:
The problem with forums that allow open discussion of personal theories is that they attract crackpots like pizza attracts me. Threads degenerate to meaninglessness. It was tried once here and it was a disaster. You can likely poke around and find a forum but you likely won't be happy with the results. Why would you not want to just learn actual science?
All "actual science" comes from theories... I understand the there are crackpots; however, it would be fun to have an intellectual conversation about differing theories.

If you don't understand what a scientific theory is (and your post indicates you do not) why would anyone want to listen to you?

Likes Ryan_m_b and russ_watters
Timothy Proudkii said:
All "actual science" comes from theories... I understand the there are crackpots; however, it would be fun to have an intellectual conversation about differing theories.
Just to clarify, what - or who's - "theories" are you referring to? For example, we can debate the merits of Newton's theory of gravity vs General Relativity here. You're not talking about your own ideas, are you?

russ_watters said:
Just to clarify, what - or who's - "theories" are you referring to? For example, we can debate the merits of Newton's theory of gravity vs General Relativity here. You're not talking about your own ideas, are you?
No I am not talking about my own theories.

Timothy Proudkii said:
When did I ever mention scientific theories in my original post?
You said this in the OP:
I want to casually discuss possible theories...
If not scientific theories, what type of theories are you referring to? Perhaps more to the point, why would you even want to discuss non-scientific "theories" on a science site? It doesn't seem like the right place.
So who's theories/what theories are you referring to?
... it seems like all forums prohibit that type of discussion...
That really isn't true. There are lots of forums that let you discuss nearly anything.

This thread is very confusing.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Timothy Proudkii said:

Regardless of whose theories you are referring to, did you not understand what you read in the PF Guidelines?

Zz.

russ_watters said:
You said this in the OP:

If not scientific theories, what type of theories are you referring to. Perhaps more to the point, why would you even want to discuss non-scientific "theories" on a science site? It doesn't seem like the right place.

So who's theories/what theories are you referring to?

This thread is very confusing.
I apologize for the confusion.
I am looking for a place to casually discuss scientific theories. I understand that personal theories without the proper research is not allowed on this forum.

Timothy Proudkii said:
I am looking for a place to casually discuss scientific theories. I understand that personal theories without the proper research is not allowed on this forum.
Great! PF is a great place for discussion of scientific theories, to whatever level of depth you desire (even casual)!

russ_watters said:
Great! PF is a great place for discussion of scientific theories, to whatever level of depth you desire (even casual)!
What exact forum?

Timothy Proudkii said:
What exact forum?
Depends on the theory.

Likes NotKepler
Timothy Proudkii said:
What exact forum?
Whichever forum is appropriate for the particular theory. For example, if you want to discuss General or Special Relativity, you would start a thread in the Special and General Relativity Forum. If you want to debate the merits of GR vs Newton's theory of gravity, you can either use the SR/GR Forum or the Classical Physics forum (Newton's gravity is a classical physics theory). Etc.

Likes NotKepler
russ_watters said:
Whichever forum is appropriate for the particular theory. For example, if you want to discuss General or Special Relativity, you would start a thread in the Special and General Relativity Forum. If you want to debate the merits of GR vs Newton's theory of gravity, you can either use the SR/GR Forum or the Classical Physics forum (Newton's gravity is a classical physics theory). Etc.
Thank you so much,
The help is appreciated!

-Tim

phinds said:
Depends on the theory.
Thank you!

-Tim

Timothy Proudkii said:
Thank you so much,
The help is appreciated!

-Tim
You're welcome! Though if I may make a suggestion, after looking briefly through some previous posts of yours that may have motivated you to start this thread, it occurs to me that you may not know what the word "theory" means. Please read up on the Scientific Method and make sure you are only trying to discuss actual scientific theories, not random ideas that aren't theories.

For example, you previously had a thread locked where you asked to discuss the "theory" that we are living in a simulation. But there is no such theory, there is only an hypothesis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

Likes NotKepler
russ_watters said:
You're welcome! Though if I may make a suggestion, after looking briefly through some previous posts of yours that may have motivated you to start this thread, it occurs to me that you may not know what the word "theory" means. Please read up on the Scientific Method and make sure you are only trying to discuss actual scientific theories, not random ideas that aren't theories.

For example, you previously had a thread locked where you asked to discuss the "theory" that we are living in a simulation. But there is no such theory, there is only an hypothesis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
Ah yes, that is where I learned that personal theories without proper research are not allowed here :)

phinds said:
I understand what you say, but some times those seeking answers are full of new ideas that might spring from personal experience. It is sad and true what you say, but we must not stop trying, that's the only way forward.

bazza said:
I understand what you say, but some times those seeking answers are full of new ideas that might spring from personal experience. It is sad and true what you say, but we must not stop trying, that's the only way forward.
It sounds like you are missing the point. "not stop trying" WHAT? Going to crackpot forums just means you have decided to not stop trying to listen to nonsense. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting you?

NotKepler said:
So as already suggested, as long as the theory that you would like to discuss has been published in peer-reviewed science journals or mainstream textbooks, it should be appropriate for you to start a thread in the matching PF forum. It always works best if you post links to the reading you have been doing, to help us see what the sources are, and at what level you have been doing your reading.

For less mainstream theories that you would like to discuss, you can look to your local science education resources. Your Profile page says that you are currently in high school. Does your school have a Physics Club? If so, you could join and find out what kinds of things they like to do and discuss. And they likely have an advisor who is a science teacher, who should be open to basic questions about what makes a good theory and what is mainstream and what is not.

You could also consider taking some community college introductory physics classes while you are in high school. Often they can be used later for partial university credit, and you will again get access to a lot of science students and instructors.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, Tom.G and Evo

1. Where is the best place to discuss scientific theories?

The best place to discuss scientific theories is in a forum or online community specifically dedicated to scientific discussions. This allows for a diverse range of perspectives and knowledge to be shared, and for constructive debates to take place.

2. Can I discuss scientific theories in social media platforms?

Social media platforms can be a good place to share and discuss scientific theories, but they may not always provide a conducive environment for in-depth discussions. It is important to consider the platform's purpose and audience before engaging in scientific discussions.

3. Are there any academic journals or publications that allow for discussions on scientific theories?

There are several academic journals and publications that allow for discussions on scientific theories, such as Nature and Science. These platforms often have a peer-review process in place to ensure the quality of the discussions and to promote scientific integrity.

4. Is it better to discuss scientific theories in person or online?

Both in-person and online discussions have their advantages and disadvantages. In-person discussions allow for more immediate and direct interactions, while online discussions provide a wider reach and the ability to connect with a larger community. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the nature of the discussion.

5. How can I find a group of people to discuss scientific theories with?

There are various ways to find a group of people to discuss scientific theories with, such as joining a scientific society or attending conferences and seminars. Additionally, many online communities and forums exist for this purpose. It may also be helpful to reach out to colleagues or professors who share similar research interests.